The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

weird knock issues

BoostedAWD91

Every once in a while while cruising my knock gauge spikes while on about 20% throttle. I'd let off and go again and everything would be fine for awhile. Just now it started doing it again every time I hit the throttle why cruising for about a min or two straight. I'm running v3 w/ evo 8 mad, I don't see any obvious problems taking a quick glance. Any ideas?

It sounds like phantom knock. Knock sensor is picking up a noise from somewhere else in the engine. Could be lifter tick, a power steering pump rattling, pretty much anything that's making a sound in the knock sensors sound frequency window.
I had the same problem with my 1G. I ended up having keydiver burn a chip with a phantom knock code in it to ignore any knock under 80% or so throttle position. I've since had another motor built and don't have that problem with this motor

I've got DSMLink now, its got a setting in it for phantom knock as well. I just can't remember exactly where the setting is. You may want to look into the DSMLink wiki and see if that may help.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned