The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

E74A (prototype?)-E84A VR4

Hello everybody.
I have an E84A VR4, wich I want to restore into very good condition, I will have some questions about it, and if I can not find any answer in the forum listed before, than I will ask here.

But, the most interesting thing is my E74A VR4, wich looks, that it was the second 7G VR4 ever produced with an E-E74A-00000002 VIN number, and it can easily be the one of the prototypes of this kind of car.
All parts in the car has an "Engineering Sample" sticker on it, the boot is full with electronic gadgets like GPS, VHS, tuner, CD changer, etc, it has a huge TFT display in the center console, and no 4WS.
Can anybody tell me something about this?

IncorpoRatedX

Welcome! please post pictures.

steve

in4pics

Hello guys.
Thanks for the fast reply.
I think in Your country it is midday...here is 1 o'clock AM.
So, i have already started a topic on Msport.com, but nobody has an answer.
I have contacted Mitsubishi, but still no reply.
I don't want to miss out anybody from this mysterious car, so I link the Msport topic page, it is easier for me, there are some pictures about the car.
Galant VR4 question

fuel

E74A is just the 4WD Galant without 4WS, much like how the E38A doesn't have 4WS.

E54A is FWD with no 4WS while E64A is FWD with 4WS.

fuel

Also, according to CAPS your car doesn't exist haha, the chassis number doesn't come up with anything. You've put one too many 0's in the number but even with the correct amount (0000002) it still doesn't come up.

fuel

Yes, E74A can be a VR-4 or it could be a non-turbo 2.0L V6 4WD without 4WS, ie a Viento-4 model. Just like how you can get non-turbo 4WD and 4WS E39A MX-4s in the 6G.

The strange thing is though the E74A VR-4 wasn't introduced until mid way through 1993 while the 4WS 4WD E84A VR-4 had been in production for a full 12 months prior. If your '93 had '91 dates on it then I wonder if there were E84A prototypes around in 1990.

Last edited:

I know that CAPS don't have any info about the car, we have already checked.
This car has to be the very first (second), with manufacturing dates from 1991-1992. Probably a pre-produce road test vehicle.
It is from japan, JDM, so it has 12 character VIN number, not 17, like all others in EU for example.
It can happen that I missed a 0 or put an extra 0 on the vin number, but this is the chassis number, I swear. I have photo, but I do not want to upload it for anyone.
This is why I'm here, and ask You.
Please do not weary me with no-meaning stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I hope this car has a history, and I want to know it's path until I have it.

The engine was not transplanted, it is the original 115k km 6A12TT engine of the car, and it is fully untouched at all.
Not so much difference with my E84A VR4, but there is some.
I have E39A Dynamic4 as my daily car, and I love it, I know that there was endless variations of these cars those days, especially in japan.

fuel

I know all about the JDM chassis numbers, I'm in NZ where we are flooded with JDM cars. I currently own a JDM 6G with the 12 digit chassis number and I have had no less than four 7th gen JDM Galants too, one being a fully optioned E84A automatic with TCL, Trace, 4WS and the same screen as yours.

Your chassis number is E74A-0000002, you had one extra 0 put in on your first post.

There are a few pre-production prototypes floating around, here in NZ in the South Island is a 1985 Mitsubishi Starion, the strange thing is that it has 4WS and the whole rear suspension looks identical to E39A Galant VR-4 and GTO/3000GT rear suspension, rather than the conventional Starion setup with torque tube. According to Mitsubishi this car doesn't exist on their database and it should have never left Japan (they get crushed by Mitsubishi) - I would say the Starion and your Galant somehow escaped from being crushed.

EMX5636

That's cool as hell! I hope you can find some history on this car, if you do, please share!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Potentially the vehicle may have been one sent to Europe for review by the distributors to decide if they want to sell them in their markets. They are supposed to scrap them when they are finished with them, because in most cases it is not worth it to return them. And humans always follow the rules...

RedTwo

The chassis code/vin number is incorrect I suspect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
A bit unusual but similar Mitsubishi chassis vehicles have batched numbering to distinguish them from one another eg: E39A Galant VR4 00xxxxx, E39A Eterna Sava 200xxxx, E39A Eterna ZR4 300xxxx.

Last edited:

RedTwo

I think I've cracked it, but I need to download some more ASA files to be sure...
The only cars in ASA (Japanese database) with an E74A chassis start with 03 and there are only ~3128 of them. A car with the chassis number E74A-0300002 exists, however it is a 'Sports GT' or lift back with roof rails which does not match the photo you have posted in the other thread.

I think this is a European market car, rather than a 'grey import' (used Japanese car) so will not show up in the Japanese catalogue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

The car is fully JDM with 110k km. This is a fact. The VIN number is 0000002. This is a fact too. I came in the EU for about, hmm, I don't know how many years ago, but I think fewer than 5 years.
I can tell You the extras the car have. It is unmodified, untouched, everything is in it's place.
We have to put everything back, because who I bought this car from had a head gasket fail, and started to rip the car apart to repair it, but his project was stuck.
Once we check everything we build it up, and try to start, and try the spec functions of it. It is necessary then to fully disassemble the car for further repairing and restoring it to perfect condition.
MMC has just received my e-mail about this car, I hope someone competent will get that mail, who can answer to my questions.
The car and the chassis number can not appear in any ASA or CAPS list, because I think this car was not manufactured in the factory lines, it was built for testing, not as a show car.

I think this VR4 wasn't imported here in EU, because I have never seen any of it here. And I never saw LHD from this 7G VR4. And it has everything in japanese.
I saw USDM 6G VR4 and 8G VR4 and Legnums around with LHD.

misterfixit

ALL european cars have a 17 digit iso vin. most likely it is the real deal.

Try and raise a guy at Mitsubishi motors called Mr H Kubo, pop it in an email throught the japanese website. I'll have a look tomorrow for his e-mail tomorrow., but they recently changed their e-mail structure, he helped out with identifiying and verifying the vin of my car.

please post some pics here....

It is also possible that the car has come from some African or South American market.

Rich

Quoting RedTwo:
I think I've cracked it, but I need to download some more ASA files to be sure...
The only cars in ASA (Japanese database) with an E74A chassis start with 03 and there are only ~3128 of them. A car with the chassis number E74A-0300002 exists, however it is a 'Sports GT' or lift back with roof rails which does not match the photo you have posted in the other thread.

I think this is a European market car, rather than a 'grey import' (used Japanese car) so will not show up in the Japanese catalogue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

9.JPG

1_2.JPG

5_0.JPG

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts