The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3000gt trailing arm install while keeping ABS and 4WS

Whoodoo

I picked up a set of 2g 3kgt brakes and trailing arms about a month ago and am trying to get everything I'll need together in order to install them while still keeping the ABS and 4WS. To that end, I have a few questions.

I pulled the trailing arms from a 3kgt VR4 and was wondering can anyone confirm the 4WS will still work?

As far as getting the ABS to work, I have been gathering info on ABS ring tooth counts. As far as I understand, the 91 GVR4 ABS ECU looks for a 2:1 front:rear ratio. Later model T/E/L ABS ECUs look for a 1:1 ratio. Also, the T/E/L tooth count is 47f/47r.

I counted the teeth on the 3kgt trailing arm and it had 47 valleys... meaning it has 48 teeth? Please please please someone tell me that I'm crazy and the T/E/L is the same: 47 valleys - 48 teeth.

IF the 3kgt trailing arm has the same number of teeth as the T/E/L, then I'll be able to keep the ABS simply by making sure there is an ABS ring on the front 5 lug hub that I will need to swap and by putting in the ABS ECU from a T/E/L.

RedTwo

I was looking into this last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The service manual states the GTO has 47 teeth, so, in theory, if you fit 1G ABS front hubs and use the 1G ABS computer it should work.
4WS is a maybe, I've got both 4WS racks sitting in the scrap pile at the old house (sadly under the scrap from the old bathroom) so I might be able to check them side by side over the weekend but I don't recall there being any massive differences in length.

H05TYL

Quoting Whoodoo:

I counted the teeth on the 3kgt trailing arm and it had 47 valleys... meaning it has 48 teeth?

Where did the extra tooth come from?

mitsuturbo

I may be pulling my rear subframe before too long, for renovation, cleaning, and paint. If you need any measurements or to make any comparisons, you're probably not too far from me. Of course you can always check out either of my cars for comparison. Of course, i'm assuming you don't have a 4ws rack in your G, correct?

I honestly don't believe in deleting 4ws on these cars unless i were to go full drag.

Whoodoo

I have 4WS and want to keep it. I just want to make sure the mounting location on the trailing arm for the rear steering arms is the same. I could get under my car and measure but I just wanted to see if anyone knew off hand.

Last edited:

RedTwo

Sorry, don't know off hand as that stuff met the noisy end of an angle grinder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but I can't see why it would be in a hugely different place, leverage, force, moments and all that jargon...

belize1334

Quoting H05TYL:
Quoting Whoodoo:

I counted the teeth on the 3kgt trailing arm and it had 47 valleys... meaning it has 48 teeth?

Where did the extra tooth come from?

A linear tooth pattern (like a saw) has a tooth on each end and thus one more tooth than valleys between. But, in a circular arrangement the last tooth is also the first tooth so there are the same number of teeth as spaces between them. 47 valleys = 47 teeth.

Whoodoo

New solution: why not just swap out the rear axle assembly? I don't have access to CAPS so, instead, I do a price comparison on JNZ's parts search. It seems as thought both the inner and outer bearings are the same, so I could just swap out the axle and... voila! I would have everything I want while eliminating getting a 4 bolt rear, ABS ECU swap, getting 5 lug wheels, etc.

mitsuturbo

isn't the rear end on a 3k much wider than that of a gvr4?
i know they share some parts, but i believe things are spaced out a bit in the center, around the diff

H05TYL

3kgt rear axles are longer than gvr4 ones, about 35mm each iirc.

mitsuturbo

Quoting H05TYL:

I'm pretty sure the diff is wider too, and the subframe it bolts into has more steel between the diff and where the suspension mounts up.

Whoodoo

Awe shoot. I think you're right. After looking at pictures of peoples' 5 lug swaps I do think the 3kgt axles are longer. Well there goes that idea.

RedTwo

Quoting gaylantvr4:
the active toe bushings are drilled bigger than the tel and gvr4

Same for the camber adjustment but it's only a 2mm difference in each case. You can either make a sheath or let friction and compressive force keep it in place and live with it

cheekychimp

Quoting H05TYL:

A bit of negative camber and some flares will sort that out ... or you could just go hella flush!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

H05TYL

Er no.

If you use GTO trailing arms like RedTwo did you still use the vr4 axles. The trailing arm mounts on the GTO subframe must be further apart than on the vr4 one.
You could of course fit the whole GTO subframe (with some difficulty?).

Those wheels don't look too dissimilar in size to what I've got on mine, I'd guess 9" or 9.5" +12 to +20ish, narrower tyres than I'm running though.
Once you lowered that the camber gain would have them pretty close to fitting, a slight roll and some trimming under the rear bumper and they'd be fine.

Whoodoo

I think there may have been some confusion. I was reading through RedTwo's posts in the australian's build thread and it came to my attention that you may be talking about the drive axle. the part that goes between the axle cups. I am talking about swapping the wheel axle. That is the part that is inside the trailing arm and rides within the wheel bearings.

This whole assembly
2068-0-0-0.jpg

RedTwo

I thought that was called the 'spindle' any-who... yes, that is how most people do a 5 lug swap, but sourced from a 5 lug (92+?) 1G T/E/L. I can't recall off the top of my head if it's actually the same part - probably isn't as the GTO spindle will be longer (+10-20 each side) to include the drum brake.

Whoodoo

Well if it doesn't rain tomorrow like it did all day today I'll pull a spindle from the stock trailing arm and see how it stacks up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts