The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil coolers

onesickcrx

I know a lot of people have or are switching to a forward facing oil filter housing in order to run a oil cooler. For the guys that have them installed have you seen any huge temperature diffrence's? I am asking because I am thinking of install one, but at the same time on motor cycles we end up eliminating them because its only about a 5-15 degree drop in oil temp. Just looking for some info on this...

Also where do you have them mounted

biglady112

1271691050.jpg

1271691053.jpg

1271691055.jpg

OPP_7654.jpg

onesickcrx

Anyone got some numbers on temp diffrences or any other info?

4thStroke

You'll probably have a tough time finding numbers, but I think the consensus is that the coolers are not needed for street cars. For a track car, yes.

onesickcrx

I would think some of the bigger built street cars would have these on them just to try to keep the car running cool

CarRacer

I installed mine in front of the radiator using a 90 housing. I'm not doing anything crazy yet with my car but I wanted the piece of mind.
img.php

Terry Posten

I did mine similar to CarRacer but Toybreaker told me I did it wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I have been told that you want the feed and return ports vertical not horizontal. If the ports are vertical, the oil is not filling the whole core and utilizing the complete cooling capacity. The top of the core could be empty and I wonder if that air space could cause air bubbles into the oil.

I have to replace my core so I am going to move it into the fender where the ABS pump was at. I am going to be using a cooler that has a fan so it is not super critical to have the core directly in-line with incoming air flow.

If I ever get it done, I will post pics. But with vacation in a week, it will be awhile.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
So it should be mounted as below?

biglady112

Mine is setup that way so it will FORCE oil through and drain back out. I don't want it to leisurely pass through and not push all the oil out.

Barnes

Quoting biglady112:
Mine is setup that way so it will FORCE oil through and drain back out. I don't want it to leisurely pass through and not push all the oil out.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Could you maybe reword that?

jepherz

Staff member
Isn't the factory cooler on a '90 positioned like CRs?

If that is indeed incorrect, is there a correct inlet/outlet configuration to choose when going with the vertical setup? I'd think no matter what, the cooler is acting like a capacitor and could cause shortage of oil while the car is still starting up?

biglady112

The way we both have ours set up we are able to have fresh oil in the cooler at all times. And this configuration lets the motor dictate the flow through it. Fresh flow through the entire core. No wasted space, no stagnant oil.

And for what its worth, the factory cooler on a 90 dsm is setup this way.

Last edited:

Barnes

How would *any* setup have stagnant oil? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am intrigued by the comments by Terry that Toybreaker made. Having the ports at the bottom could conceivably create a pocket of air (albeit compressed) at the top of the cooler that blocks that portion of the core from being used.

Boostdtalon

I'm kinda of glad this discussion came up. Answered a question I had.

I have to agree with Barnes, I can't see any running car have stagnant oil. Maybe he should rephrase that.

Terry Posten

The 90 Talon I took my setup off of did have it set up just like CarRacers car and that is why I set mine up the same way.

I can see the merit of Toybreakers idea because there is nothing keeping the oil from flowing up only far enough to flow across and down. There may be unused space in the core not coolong the oil up top.

I don't know, but I will be going with Toybreakers idea.

CarRacer

It's my understanding that our housings have a built in thermostat, so until the oil warms up the cooler isn't even in the system. Does anyone know which is the inlet and which is the outlet for the housing? If you were to orient the cooler fittings to be horizontal, you'd want the flow to be top to bottom to avoid any possible air pockets.

JNR

Aren't these under pressure (when running) though? I don't see how orientation would make a difference in that case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

CarRacer

Yeah, it's under pressure but it'd be like not bleeding your coolant system. The cooler I have is at the top of my oiling system, so it's possible that there's air in it and it might not be able to bleed out naturally.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts