The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Finished painting trim, removing pinstripe, and molding bumper

Well, a few things cosmetically that needed attention on my car was the badly faded trim around the doors and front/rear windows. Crusty and spotty pinstripe. And also a warped front bumper.

So I followed the suggestions on here for sanding down all the trim pieces and respraying them.

Then I did the painful task of using a heat gun to remove the old crusty pinstripe and slowly removing the residue left...

Also the front bumper was warped from a slight fender bender years ago. The plastic was formed in that warped shape...so I took the bumper off, and using a heat gun with pieces of wood to support different spots, molded the bumper back as much as I can. It's still noticeable but not nearly as much as it used to be.

What a difference all this made in the overall look of the car!

Freshly painted trim:
Trim2.jpg

Trim1.jpg

Trim3.jpg

Trim4.jpg

No more pinstripe!
pinstripe1.jpg

pinstripe2.jpg

Almost straight bumper. :p
Bumper.jpg

TWEAKD4

Looking good. What grit did you use to sand the trim before painting?

bobdole

looks great

Thanks! I followed the steps in a post on here. Used 320 grit, taped it up very well and did 2-3 coats.

I noticed my mirrors are also faded but it looks like these were paint matched? If so all the paint already came off. Guess I'll get the car paint in a spray can and sand them and repaint them too.

I just got the trim paint and the local auto parts store. I believe the brand I picked up was Dupli-color.

Here's better pics not from my phone. :p

P1000973.jpg

P1000977.jpg

P1000979.jpg

curtis

I painted my window trim with duplicolor trim black in 2000 and it still looks good. The chrome on the rear window didn't last as well When the car goes to paint I'll soda blast them and then paint and it should stick fine. Same time I bought 3 rolls of wide black pinstripe from autozone and made a holder on the vice that I could unroll it and split it down the middle with a razor blade. Used 2 and a half rolls and blacked out the chrome around the taillights and the body mounting around the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned