The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Newb buying at auction

Greetings folks! I'm looking into buying a car, and came across an auction. I'm really not sure about this method of buying. Can any of you folks share any car auction experiences? Whether good or bad, I'd like to hear/read from you.

Another thing, I've noticed some vehicles have rebuilt/salvage titles, is there any big deal buying one of those?

Diego

Salvaged titles can only be titled in some states.

Car auction, like a Barett Jackson auction, or Ebay?

I bought a 72 Coronet back in 2000 for 980 bucks, car was a lemon so I left it at my uncles, where it still sits.

She was clean too, 36k on body and motor but engine was a mess and it just wasn't reliable, never was good with carb*d cars so I never did anything with it, now that my experience is up I should get the trailor out and get it.

mikus

^ how does one classify a 28 year old Dodge as a lemon? Not rust as much as promised?

EDIT: a -$980-, 28 year old Dodge?

Newb McGrub - if you aren't comfortable determining the full condition of a used car, avoid auctions like hairy-legged hookers. Auction cars are like Pit Bulls, they can be great but all you hear about are people that got bit.

Last edited:

It's through Copart.. I found a clean title one, there's like 1 out of 100 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

click

What do you folks think?

13 G's for a galant at auction? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif For that kind of dough i wouldnt be buying at an auction.......

Kelly Blue Book Value

Go buy from a dealer at that price.

AnotherNewb

13g's is the book value... The auction is only at a little over 2k.

If you are close to DC than liquidators.com is another place to look, however, they deal with a lot of seizures and most of the time have no keys to check the condition of the cars. Guy I worked for bought a 4.6l thunderbird only to find a seized motor and a bunch of head bags and a couple of weed pipes. Was still a good buy. 1200 for the car another 300 in an ebay motor and he made a little bit of money.

curtis

The website below is what city and state government use to get rid of stuff, the days of public auction in a parking lot are going away. My wife runs the city office here and they put stuff on here all the time, since they started doing it this way the prices of what they get average about 50% more and less work. If you see something thats not local to you you can contact the office in charge of the auction and ask someone there to check the vehicle out when they have time. Some you never know because they were street racing or drug dealer seizures but others were dept heads or the mayors old car and probably well maintained by the city garage.

I warn you guys I had a period all i did was watch this site for stuff but most times stuff I wanted was half a country away and no way to go get it.
I've seen M5 BMWs go for a grand and CNC bridgeports go for a few hundred to 10's of thousands more people are hearing about it but nothing like ebay, reason the city and state use its because its free and they get thee money because if you don't pay the company gov deals takes money from your account. Keeps the kids from bidding on ferraris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

click me

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned