The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What front mount is everyone using and price.

Whoodoo

The only kit that is a direct bolt on is the ETS. If you can fabricate, then the sky is the limit. However, if you are on a budget, the evo 8 intercooler has been used with minor modification. Also, the starion intercooler or JDM galant rs intercoolers have been made to work. In the end, your choice of intercooler should be made to match your current setup, future goals, budget, fabrication skills, time, etc.

Oh, and use the search function. I'm sorry I had to say that, but its true. Here's a few pointers:

Use a + in front of keywords and a - in front of words you don't want to pop up. Also, you can use "" to enclose key phrases.

I'm sure if you searched '+intercooler -re: -fs:' you'll get a bajillion different topics

Nartanian

Yea, Evo 8 is the more common one used if your goals aren't too crazy. Otherwise you gotta spend a decent amount on an ETS. I remember a member oh here makes vr4 fmic kits using the evo 8 ic.

Muskrat

Quoting Whoodoo:

I'm sure if you searched '+intercooler -re: -fs:' you'll get a bajillion different topics

Instead of typing "-fs:" to exclude for sale threads just select the forums you want to search on the left hand menu. i typically just search in "*Galant VR-4*" (it includes all child forums)

quoting nartanian;
I remember a member oh here makes vr4 fmic kits using the evo 8 ic.

Who does? I'm in need of some gvr4 specific piping. There's not really anyone with worthy enough fab skills to have them made around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Nartanian

Prices may have gone up a bit, but you can email him. I was gonna get his kit, but found a local welder.

Evo fmic kit

Ghettoize

thank you for everyone response leaning toward the ets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AWDnoobie

I have a evo8 fmic, I have to remount it though. Previous owner did a shitty job of securing it to the frame

I'm using a Griffin core w/Spearco top to bottom end tanks (the "RRE special"). It's a great core; the "cold side" end tank has always been just that (keep in mind there's only a 16g huffing through it though). The end tank design is highly efficient (it has virtually no pressure drop) but adds weight and makes mounting the thing a real biyatch.

TylerAdamson

Having a quality fmic built can cost far more than buying the ETS kit. A good core can cost several hundreds of dollars then you've got your raw materials and then you have to pay your welder. It does suck that ETS is the only company making kits for the Galant, I would've liked to have had a few places to choose from when I was in the market for an intercooler and would have loved to have gotten a thicker core for what I paid. But these cars are getting older and the market is shrinking daily so I guess we should be thankful that we do have a place offering a kit.

Boostdtalon

I've got an Spearco core with AMS endtanks. I bought this off of another member on here. If I hadn't bought this I would have went with a ETS.

Diego

Ams ic with ams end tanks.... first owner (I'm the 3rd) put it on... its slim good for about 22 psi as it is smaller then the normal cores..... 28 x 7.5 x 2.5..... I want to upgrade to a mishimoto in the future...

DR1665

I'm running the stock, USDM Texas Toast intercooler setup on the daily, but have an SRT4 FMIC for the rally car.

It's almost a direct fit, given removal of the bumper and AC condenser core. Minor trimming is all that's needed to get the inlet/outlet to slip right between the radiator and core support. I'll have a custom "bumper" and no AC on my race car when it's all done.

SRT4 FMIC was free or $20. I don't remember which.

main.php

Wizardawd

I scored a Spearco 221 core with all pipes for my 1g for $160 shipped ($900 new). Guy said it wasn't enough for his power needs.....pfft. This is the same FMIC that Al Blaha ran 10.5s with a 1g MAF and 2g pistons.

rre1gickit01.jpg

I haven't tried, but i'm sure with a little work I could get it to work on the galant.

Wiz

alansupra94

My car came with a spearco intercooler. I will post up pictures of it today.

I am running one of jons evo 8 intercooler setups on my car and it fits amazing, and looks awesome to boot! I would post a pic but I'm posting this from my phone.

boosted_85

I'm running a ebay spearco griffen style with ebay alum charge piping for my intercooler setup. Sure is more effeicent than the stocker. No leaks as of yet. Cost me around $300.

Evo 8 Intercooler painted Black..... sleeper baby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts