The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM SIDE MARKERS

I bought a gvr4 and the wires are melted on the side markers on the right side. I'm pretty sure they weren't wired up right. Does anyone have a diagram on how to wire up JDM side markers?
Thanks guys.

turbowop

The bulbs used in the single-bulb corners are meant for use as blinkers, so when wired up to be constantly on with the headlights, they get hot and melt.

I found some harnesses from a junkyard that work with dual filament bulbs and fit the JDM socket, so mine use the low current filament as the corner marker and the high current filament as the blinker. No meltage.

turbowop

Well that's strange. Those shouldn't pull enough amps to melt, even if on constantly with the headlights. I assumed you had the single-bulb corners as that's a pretty common issue.

mooserage

Staff member
With the two bulb corners are both lights normally on ALL the time though? I thought one was still a turn signal, and therefore wouldn't be adding to the continuous heat in the housing. Of course if they are both wired on the same wire and its gauge is too small that will also cause the wire to melt...
-shamus

they are wired together. the guy that i bought the car from wired up like that. i wasn't sure if that's why the melted or what?

turbowop

As far as I know, the JDM two-bulb corners are practically the same thing as the U.S. versions, which also are constant on with the headlights. They switched to the single bulb corners for use as blinkers when the projector fogs came out (the old fogs housed the blinkers). At that point, since the corner marker was now used as a blinker, they added "city lights" to the headlights for use as corner markers.

Even wired together, those small bulbs in the two-bulb corners shouldn't get hot enough to melt things. I would look for the problem elsewhere.

cheekychimp

Might be a stupid question, but have you actually tried switching the lights on to see if much heat is generated? I know I had an issue with JDM headlight sockets melting when trying to use brighter higher wattage bulbs, but I can't imagine any bulbs in the corners creating that sort of heat as Mark said.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned