The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Noise coming from dash area that increases with speed

I pulled the lower dash panel down from the driver's side to perform an alarm install. Ever since then, I can hear a sound (almost like a tire sounds sometimes when it has a nail in it) from the dash. The sound continues if I coast in neutral and disengage the clutch. The noise gets faster with speed. The noise can't be heard outside of the car with the windows open.

I am wondering if things tend to be a bit noisier on this vehicle with panels removed. The noise isn't that bad, low radio and low setting of the heater drown it out easily. I just want to make sure that it wasn't sinister.
I am wondering if I ran too many wires through the speedometer cable grommet and the cable is being crushed or something.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

rgeier11

Speedometer cable I'd say. Does it do it when it's really cold outside?

It seems to do it more when it's cold...but I have only owned the car for a few months now.
Seller advises that the speedo cable is new. I am seriously wondering whether or not my running
a million wires around it is causing an issue.

What is this tri-flow stuff and which side of the cable do I spray it on?

It really doesn't irritate me as long as it is benign. The whole car is a noise box due to the PTT clutch and I am happy with that.

Thanks again

Hertz

Staff member
Google thinks it is this: click

I'd spray it from the dash side if that's where its making noise, but probably wouldn't hurt to do the other side too. Did the seller grease the cable before install? New ones are shipped dry and include a small tube of some white grease.

Did you ziptie any wires to the cable?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts