The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valve cover oil leak

prove_it

I tried searching for this but couldn't find a real answer.

There is a hole in my valve cover that is leaking a lot of oil. It's a small hole by the timing cover about on inch to the left of the cover and about right in the middle height wise and has always been there. There is a same hole on my other valve covers and I have seen this kind of leak on other cars as well.

I'm losing a lot of oil from this hole, It looks like a weep hole but I don't see a purpose for it and I would really really like to know what it is and why it's there. Also wondering if I can just JB weld it up until I get a new cover. I don't get it. I see no reason for it and yea I'm losing a lot of oil because of it.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm at work so I can't upload any pics.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Your valve cover is most likely cracked at one of the bolts in the valley. (most likely one of the ones down at the t-belt end)

Oil is leaking into the valley area, filling it up, and then coming out that seep hole.

Might want to fix that before enough gets on the exhaust mani to start a fire.

edit The purpose of the seep hole is to prevent oil from filling the valley to the point that oil goes down the spark plug wells.

Last edited:

prove_it

Really? It looks like it travels through the cover. That's great news. I know my oil cap gasket is shot and leaks under boost. Must have finally blew out bad enough to fill the valley then.

toybreaker

iconoclast
You also popping the dipstick under boost?

Might be time to check/clean/replace the p.c.v valve and ensure the vent hose over to the inlet duct is not bent too sharply, causing a restriction that leads to pressurising the crankcase.

prove_it

It's a fresh engine. Rings were sealed properly. I did think the dipstick popped, but not once has it done so. It fits good. PCV valve is new, but I replaced it with an aftermarket one. I did that before we discussed how those are bad. I know that maybe causing issues, but I know the oil cap is twenty years old and does leak. I'm going to pull it into the shop tonight and pull the COP off and check the valley. I do have a cold start stumble and slight miss so I think your right about filling the valley of oil.

I've also been consuming about one quart of oil every month. I know it's leaking so I'm hoping thats the issue. It doesn't burn any, but the turbo is old and stock so I know the seals have to be going south by now.

Hopefully a new oil cap and PCV valve will fix the oil leak and the oil consumption. As for the vents, they are stock set-up with no mods. I'm running stock boost with a 14b. I'll check the lines and make sure they are good.

Appreciate the opinions toybreaker. Your a good man. good man indeed.

All you need is the $4 oil cap gasket. Unless the vc gasket is leaking or vc is cracked.

Rausch

^^^^ Quote:
There is a hole in my valve cover that is leaking a lot of oil. It's a small hole by the timing cover about on inch to the left of the cover and about right in the middle height wise and has always been there. There is a same hole on my other valve covers and I have seen this kind of leak on other cars as well.

I stand corrected. I've seen that hole on all valve covers. I've never seen it leak.

there is a weep hole by the timing cover side of the valve cover, if excess oil is collected in the spark plug valley, it will drain through this weep hole thats right above the right corner of the exhaust manifold.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned