The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How rare do you guys think GVR4s are?

blackvr4

Been thinking about this for awhile. Curious how many galant vr4s you guys think are on the road running and driving today? Both years combined offcourse. I was guessing 2300 of them are actually running and driving. Ofcourse there is no way to proove it i guess.

EDIT: sorry guys talking about the ones in the US since we got the rare limited addition models with cool little badges /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:

evo8ya

oh man, not another one of these threads.... better put your flame suit on. bout to get hot in here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flamesuit2.jpg

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Not that rare I would say. plenty of them in Aussie land, Europe, and Asia. 2300 is pretty high for USDM GVR4s.

Still, prepare yourself for the Flamethrower action that may ensue in your near future for this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrbonnell

2300 hundred doesn't seem that high seeing as there were over 254 million cars registered in the U.S. in 2007. 2300 is a pretty small percentage. but I guess if you were thinking world wide I would really have no clue. But I think what makes our cars so special, is that the U.S. were only granted so many and they came with badging with the build number. I see it as this, you see ford's, cheverolet's, hondas, mercury s, and so on everyday. you hardly ever see a Galant VR4, and to be honest I have never seen a VR4 on the streets other than my own. I think you could rank a VR4 up there with the rarity of some of our desired dream cars seeing as there are so few. But im not trying to fuel a fire, just expressing a thought. I just love my car to death and think it is really cool to have something of its stature.

solidviper89

Idk, but I would say that they are dam rare, of course I am a galant fanboy. There isn't many of them, I once had a friend say his mustang was rare, he said it was 1/515 (99 35th anni white with black vert top) or some sh*t with his options, if you look up on here >here< you'll see production numbers, my galant is 1/112.

mrbonnell

And just curious, what is the all the hot bother about the rarity of our cars? The "flamethrower" if you will.

NateCrisman

They aren't rare at all. Go look on the For Sale: Cars section....you can have your choice of plenty for sale.

I'll say they are "RARE" when demand overcomes supply and you actually have to try to find a GVR4 to buy. Right now, they are stupid cheap and easy to find. I had one GIVEN to me a few weeks ago..that's how little demand there is.

Rarity as defined by # produced doesn't tell you much. Just because there are relatively few of this specific car model made doesn't automatically mean that rarity has any significant effect on it's value or desirability.

On the other hand, finding a really NICE GVR4....that is rare and worth something IMHO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

JSchleim18

What do you mean they're not "rare at all". There were 3,000 imported into the US. I don't know the total production numbers worldwide but 3,000 cars per whatever amount of car roaming the USA is pretty damn rare.

Stop bringing up this supply and demand sh*t. For resale sake, yes that plays a role. We are talking about the amount made. Yes there are plenty in the FOR SALE SECTION OF THE DEDICATED GALANT VR-4 FORUM. How many VR-4's do you see for sale on a regular craigslist site? Not many. Anyone who has a decent interest in the car but isn't too computer savvy can't seem to find a VR-4 if their life depended on it!

Also, people who are giving you cars are just lazy and don't want to take them time out to sell it to another enthusiast who doesn't access this site. I do think it is dumb that if someone wants a rare item, they don't always think outside the box. sh*t, you wanna find something, use the interwebz...sorry just a rant to all the people who can't seem to find one.

The chassis themselves is rare. However, the drivetrain and engine components are a dime a dozen.

Though there might be a bunch for sale, the fact that your unlikely to find one for sale within a couple houndred miles. When it comes to used cars, that makes it rare as your unlikely to find one unless you do check a model specific site (like ours) to find one since most used car sales are only advertised locally. I probably never would have heard of them if mine hadn't poked up on the local craig's list and was only 40 miles from my house.

mrbonnell

Indeed blue642!

The only reason that they are easy to find is because our lovely administrators dedicated a site specifically for them. You may find one every once in a while on ebay or craigs. but that is hardly ever. And as for finding one in michigan, my luck had quickly run out.

boostedinaz

There are 6,214 GVR4s left.

curtis

Rare most are well done and burnt up and seems like everyone around here has one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

uncleben4rice

I went to a street racers parking lot the other night, and those kids had never seen a GVR4 in person in there lives, it was like they were standing around my car looking at it like it was a mythical creature or something. I say they are rare indeed. One kid had a 600hp supra and thought my car was rare. WoW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hertz

Staff member
We don't know for certain how many remain, but here's my best deduction:

We are currently tracking 717 badges in our membership (active in the last year) and our registry project, which attempts to document VIN and badge number, has the following: 366 '91s and 193 '92s for 559 total matches between VIN and badge. Of those 559, 38 '91s and 16 '92s for 54 total documented scrapped (About 10%). So let's say that enthusiasts' scrappage rate is about 10%. If we factor that 10% of those members may be scrapped it brings us down to 645.

717 badges out of 2,638 current members is 27% so I believe at least 27% of our users currently have or had a VR-4. Our current membership vs. historic membership (10,501 members) roughly gives us 25% representation of the general public. So I would say our community's slice of the total USDM VR-4 population is likely between 25-27% of the total.

Take the maximum examples of 3,009 at 25% and we have 752. That puts us within 5% of our 717, and since not all members list their badge numbers, I think we're close.

Nationwide, scrappage rates have been 70% to 85% and rising between 1990 and 2010. So let's take the membership out of the population (3,009-25% = 2,256 cars) and assume that these are not held by enthusiasts and were scrapped at 75% (2,256-75% = 1,692) outside of the community.

That leaves us with 564 in the wild, 717 registered and 35 unregistered for a total of 1,316 USDM VR-4s hopefully still in existence.

Granted this is all best-guess based on numbers mostly pulled from thin air...

Ian M

GVR4s are "rare" but not really desireable. A Diesel Chevette is also "rare",but I doubt anyone would give you scrap value for one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A while back I counted almost 30 in a 25mile or so radius from here,there are a few around that I don't know the owners of,and I've seen a few on the road in the past year or so I wasn't aware of. I couldn't tell you if those folks knew what they were driving,or even cared.In fact,coming home from work I saw a white one with an aftermarket exhaust on Rt9 in Charles Town WV a couple weeks ago I've never seen before.

It seems most import savvy around here knows what a GVR4 is.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

Quoting uncleben4rice:
I went to a street racers parking lot the other night, and those kids had never seen a GVR4 in person in there lives, it was like they were standing around my car looking at it like it was a mythical creature or something. I say they are rare indeed. One kid had a 600hp supra and thought my car was rare. WoW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

man hit us up next time Junius ahaha, We can roll Four deep aha. Tre3zy, Mario , Me and you lol. Rare maybe around other parts of the country, but around my area there are atleast 8 lol. and Ask Conrad about Rare, How many has he had? ahahahahaha. This topic has been brought up so many times, its like beating a dead horse.
-Shane

NateCrisman

Quoting Ian M:
GVR4s are "rare" but not really desireable. A Diesel Chevette is also "rare",but I doubt anyone would give you scrap value for one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A while back I counted almost 30 in a 25mile or so radius from here,there are a few around that I don't know the owners of,and I've seen a few on the road in the past year or so I wasn't aware of. I couldn't tell you if those folks knew what they were driving,or even cared.In fact,coming home from work I saw a white one with an aftermarket exhaust on Rt9 in Charles Town WV a couple weeks ago I've never seen before.

It seems most import savvy around here knows what a GVR4 is.

Exactly my point: Yes it's "rare" by a numerical standpoint that there are maybe 1300-1500 of them still running around. Rarity can mean diddly squat for collect-ability and value. I just don't feel the # left matters worth a hill of beans.

The arguement that they are plentiful for sale here on a GVR4 specific board but "rare" on craigslist and your local newspaper classifieds.....DUH. When you want to buy a DVD player, do you trundle down to the local florist and go shopping? No you go to an electronics store. When someone wants to buy a 20 year old oddball import car: you go on the internet and search Galant VR4 and this site comes up #2 in google search. Anyone interested in buying a GVR4 has no excuse to not find this site within 1 minute of actually looking, and here, there are plenty of cars to choose from.

NateCrisman

Quoting Hertz:

We are currently tracking 717 badges in our membership (active in the last year) and our registry project, which attempts to document VIN and badge number, has the following: 366 '91s and 193 '92s for 559 total matches between VIN and badge. Of those 559, 38 '91s and 16 '92s for 54 total documented scrapped (About 10%). So let's say that enthusiasts' scrappage rate is about 10%. If we factor that 10% of those members may be scrapped it brings us down to 645.

717 badges out of 2,638 current members is 27% so I believe at least 27% of our users currently have or had a VR-4. Our current membership vs. historic membership (10,501 members) roughly gives us 25% representation of the general public. So I would say our community's slice of the total USDM VR-4 population is likely between 25-27% of the total.

Take the maximum examples of 3,009 at 25% and we have 752. That puts us within 5% of our 717, and since not all members list their badge numbers, I think we're close.

Nationwide, scrappage rates have been 70% to 85% and rising between 1990 and 2010. So let's take the membership out of the population (3,009-25% = 2,256 cars) and assume that these are not held by enthusiasts and were scrapped at 75% (2,256-75% = 1,692) outside of the community.

That leaves us with 564 in the wild, 717 registered and 35 unregistered for a total of 1,316 USDM VR-4s hopefully still in existence.

Is there a link that could be put right on the top of the site to the most current registry information page? Seems there are multiple threads with lists and constant new threads put up on this topic, so my assumption would be that the registry information isn't easy enough to find, otherwise we wouldn't have these threads all the time.

JSchleim18

You make no sense what-so-ever with your DVD/florist argument. Can you buy a DVD at a florist? No. Can you buy a DVD at Target or Wal-Mart, yes.

But you would go to Best Buy or another electronic store for a wider selection to find something that fits your tastes or a more "rare" movie that the other places may not carry.

Reason I say this is because you can find a car on craigslist. It's like a Target or Wal-Mart. They have a lot of the general stuff. Maybe not your specific needs but something.

If you want to find something specific IE a Galant VR-4, you'll go to that special store like this forum.

evo8ya

Quoting Hertz:

Way to run the #'s Hertz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Also, many DSM guys that I pass on the road don't flinch at my car. It's always the Audi guys that notice it and want to take pics of it like it's some mythical creature. It is kinda cool though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts