The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Control arms interchangability??????

charmcity

Hey guys just wondering if the Controla arms are interchangeable between our cars and the DSMs thanks.

JSchleim18

Rear or front? Front and rear can both be swapped out with DSM 1G units.

3000GT VR-4 rear upper control arms work as well (at least the adjustable units do)

jepherz

Staff member
There is discussion in other threads about the DSM lower front control arms having different caster than the VR4 arms. However, I'd look up the part numbers and confirm myself before believing it.

DSM front lower control arm MB573095
GVR4 front lower control arm MB573093

The bushing also has different numbers between DSM and Galant.

Polish

I bought Poly DSM front control arm bushings and they fit right on my stock control arms, fwiw.

charmcity

Thanks guys your all great thanks again.

belize1334

Be aware that some of the less desirable DSMs had a different front sway-bar design that is incompatible. Make sure you see a picture and confirm that it has the appropriately shaped end-link bracket.

curtis

Quoting jepherz:
There is discussion in other threads about the DSM lower front control arms having different caster than the VR4 arms. However, I'd look up the part numbers and confirm myself before believing it.

If these were rear wheel drive I could might see a difference the mustangs have different arms and the svo's were the best to get off all the fox body cars but with a fwd/awd the length could only change a few thousandths before driveshaft/cv joint issues come into play. Even a 1/4 inch could place the cv joint out of spec and cause vibrations or a broken axle fast.

So the arms themselves are the same, it's just the bushing that is different, and since the arm comes with the bushing they're given different numbers in CAPS. That's what I'm getting from all this.

4thStroke

Im betting the bushings are the same, but the arms have different geometry. I would think we would have heard from someone who has done a poly suspension rebuild if the bushing was different.

Can anyone chime in on whether or not the DSM has the a-arm mounting location dead center of the rear a-arm bushing? I just pulled mine out tonight and the hole is right on the middle of the bushing.

Last edited:

4thStroke

Do you have any DSM a-arms pulled? My arms are hanging by the ball joints right now, I can pull one off and stop by tomorrow.

GreenGSX

The One Lap car has DSM front and rear control arms with the poly bushings.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting dsm_drew:
So the arms themselves are the same, it's just the bushing that is different, and since the arm comes with the bushing they're given different numbers in CAPS. That's what I'm getting from all this.

This is correct. The bushings are "different" in their durometer (more actually spring rate in this case), not their dimensions, so aftermarket poly bushings fit either.

vr4play

There is 1 Degree differance in the caster. I put 1g dsm control arms on my dsm and lost caster. I installed a new set of dorman galant control arms and got my caster back. My race car only had 1 deg with the 1g arms and centered poly bushings. I have 3 deg now with the Galant arms and the whiteline caster bushings. Made the car fell much better. My street car had 1 deg with the 1g arms and has 2 deg now with the new arms. I first noticed the differance when my brother wrecked his Galant and I ordered a used 1G control arm and his car had a deg differance side to side. I thought it was just from the wreck till I did some checking. Any Galant control arm fits.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned