The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4WS misbehaving because of speedometer drive gear stripped?

1232 often exhibits disturbing movements from the rear, and it seems to be 4ws-related. 1232's speedometer doesn't work as a result of a stripped nylon speedometer drive gear. I just replaced the speedometer drive gear, and it stripped again in less than a mile. I'm assuming this means it needs a tranny rebuild, which isn't affordable anytime soon. A few questions:

1. Does the car need a signal from the speedometer drive gear for 4ws to work correctly?

2. Is there any way to temporarily disable 4ws without removing any of its significant parts, while still keeping the rear wheels from turning? I like 4ws when it works correctly, so I'd like to just disable it until I can have the transmission rebuilt.

chucklesas

Nope, the Speedo doesn't have anything to do with it. The pump for the rear steering is attached to the rear pumpkin, so the turning is based on the speed at the rear wheels. You could cap the feed lines going to the rear, and loops the return lines at the PS reservoir. What makes you think it's the 4ws? If the light is coming on that means your fluid level is low. You transmission may be causing drivability issues though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned