The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wire Tuck

Ok,so I am formerly a honda guy gone DSM for sure. So I gotta ask if there anyone who has performed a wire tuck on their VR4 or is it even possible? I'd just like to clean up the under the hood look a little. I will be receiving my VR4 @ Christmas time and like any car guy wont be able to keep my hands off of it. Just curious. HMO guys.

atc250r

Staff member
Do you mean you want to "hide" the engine harness? I know Nate has done this on his. I'm doing it on mine when I get to that point. He just routed it down along the crossmember rather than up higher on teh firewall.

JSchleim18

Wire tucking is where you delete all of the useless wires and run the harness in such a way it hides most of the wiring. It looks good.

fivestardsm

DONT! go back to honda if you want to do that! I have one that the guy started to do a wire tuck. It is not impossible, but your ruining a piece of history, not just one of 100-kabillion other hondas.

This is my opinion. Expescially with the fact that it seems like the GVR4 has twice as many wires as a honda, and not as smart of a harness configuration as the hondas do. I have a couple hondas also, and I can see where you could do it with out a serious issue unlike the VR4. Just deal with it.

Unless you are going for a national champion show car anyway, but then Id still say dont destroy a piece of history.

And again....Not a DSM, DSM's were just another 100-kabillion 2 Door cars that if you wanted to destory, you could easily find another once it was ghettoed and riced out to swap the motor and trans into when you came to your sences and realized that sleeper is a life style of its own.

Last edited:

turbowop

I fail to see how hiding the wiring harness is ruining a piece of history? Making it look better is a good thing, IMO.

That said, people have done it on DSM's, so I wouldn't think it's much harder on the GVR4. Looks like a huge pain in the ass to me, but would definitely look nice if done properly.

turbofonz

I did what I could with the wires in the bay. It came out good. The fusebox is still in stock location though, that I'd love to toss. One day.

Well one big thing that helps with these engine bays (if you do not want/use the stuff anyway) is getting rid of the cruise control, a/c, emissions stuff.

CarRacer

Deleting the abs helps cleans things up in the front a little bit and sheds a decent amount of weight.

fivestardsm

Quoting turbowop:
I fail to see how hiding the wiring harness is ruining a piece of history? Making it look better is a good thing, IMO.

That said, people have done it on DSM's, so I wouldn't think it's much harder on the GVR4. Looks like a huge pain in the ass to me, but would definitely look nice if done properly.

Because a true tuck and trim includes welding up execcess holes in the firewall and fenderwells. Along with trimming and extending a harness to hide it. Which is what was done to 677. Not that Joe wasnt doing a good job to make it clean. However now when, or I might even say if, I ever get to work on 677, it wil require finding an entire front clip to repair the one that was cut and welded just to bring it back to original-esque form. The harness's are becoming hard enough to find anymore.

BTW.. Joe, if you see this, not offense to you..

Last edited:

Gimpin

Take a look at this thread click ... they are dsm's not gvr4s but you get the idea. And seriously five star get off the soap box ... if these cars are such a piece of history than why are they only be sold for similar values as a similar condition DSM or honda. And not every honda owner is a Ricer

Last edited:

JNR

The nice thing is a few more years and there'll be that many less in good condition from the hacking, lol. I know it *can be* done, but there have been very few cars (vr4's) done with such a level of quality that it doesn't look like a hack, on something like this.

Gimpin

and there will be just as many or less enthusiast for the vr4 ... you watch how many vr4 guys jump ship when the EVOs get more affordable. I'll tell you right now the only reason I own a vr4 instead of and evo is $$$$$

gmp

hope this could help. click
I like this idea better and well wiring can be one of the biggest problems with these cars...

Last edited:

JNR

Quoting Gimpin:
and there will be just as many or less enthusiast for the vr4 ... you watch how many vr4 guys jump ship when the EVOs get more affordable. I'll tell you right now the only reason I own a vr4 instead of and evo is $$$$$

perhaps that is true for some folks, but for me, I'd prefer my VR4 over an Evo any day (and yes I can afford a new Evo if I wanted one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )...To me, it has more character and can be just as good performance wise [not stock, of course] and something you don't see 5 of everyday...Mine is not stock, but tastefully done and not hacked, plus in great condition. Not saying the Evo is not a nice car in it's own way, but just not for me.

Do I think these things will be worth a fortune? Probably not anytime while I own it, but I will get back almost all I have put into it and can't say the same for a losing investment, such as a new car. I don't intend it to be my main DD, but it could go anywhere I want it to.

JSchleim18

Quoting Gimpin:

+1 on that...

Face it, these cars are NEVER going to fetch the price you are looking for. Plan on doing a full restoration to get a decent amount back. I enjoy taking a rare item and building it to my specs within the limits (money). I bought my car because I enjoy the AWD System along with the stout 4G63 and 4 doors. The rest just came as a bonus.

I've thinned and tucked mine. Its not really that bad to do. I keep forgetting to get pics of the finished setup, but it does look a lot better. Though its laying loose, its laying about where it ended up.
Cruise control, ABS, and the vacuum lines (though technical not wiring) are the biggest things that can be removed to clean it up (if you don't mind removing them for rarity reasons). Move the rear loom down to lower on the firewall is a huge help whether your stripping out the others or not. Biggest challenge for me was passenger front corner. Its got a lot of stuff right there. If you have your battery in the factory location it covers it up, but if you're relocating to firewall or trunk it makes it a lot more visible.
I'll try to snap from finished pics over the weekend if I can.

fivestardsm

Quoting Gimpin:
Take a look at this thread click ... they are dsm's not gvr4s but you get the idea. And seriously five star get off the soap box ... if these cars are such a piece of history than why are they only be sold for similar values as a similar condition DSM or honda. And not every honda owner is a Ricer

Because a bunch of cheap bastards own them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also, not on any soapbox here. I dont understand how so many can get away with expessing their feelings on tons of subjects that they feel strongly about, but I am not the type to express my self usually, but I get called a preacher.

Granted, I could have gone about it at a little bit of a lower key, but it got the best of me.

My point was aimed at the hackers, not the modders. If you plan on welding all the holes up so it looks like a smooth finish and take away the stock-ness of it, then this is what "I" consider bad. Now, if it is just to be a simple tuck to get the exccess out of sight, then this would be a cleaner look...To me anyway. (like the DSM's in the link)

And as stated since the dawn of time, Oppinions... Everybody's got one, and this is just mine.

And finally, As for the entire ricer aspect as I see it, I dont assume that all Honda owners are ricers, I my self have 2 at the moment, and have had a couple others. Now, the entire aspect of what some one considers to be rice could be debated for years, but I feel that everyone is a product of the environment that they put them selves into. If a person own's a honda, that person is more likely to go out and get the body kit and all the other accessories that are concidered rice because there is so much more of a support out there for it.

Go to any honda forum and see if there is a single one that has around 95% of the people on it in stock exterior form. The reason that you will have a hard time trying to find one, is because there are, as mentioned above, so many sources for after market out there for them that it is easy and cheap to get the products.

Now, Look at the GVR4. How many sites are out here that are dedicated to the 6th gen platforum (in the US)? How many cars on this site have body kits? How many are pimped out with 90* and 180* lambo doors or suiciders out there. How many are on airbags with frame grinders or curb feelers?

I feel that this is all because of 3 reasons.

1) The people that own the majority of them
2) The suport for after market parts (exterior mainly)
3) The limited #'s of the vehicles

Again these are just my feelings on the matter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting JNR:

perhaps that is true for some folks, but for me, I'd prefer my VR4 over an Evo any day (and yes I can afford a new Evo if I wanted one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )...To me, it has more character and can be just as good performance wise [not stock, of course] and something you don't see 5 of everyday...Mine is not stock, but tastefully done and not hacked, plus in great condition. Not saying the Evo is not a nice car in it's own way, but just not for me.

x2. I love the Galant for what it means and what it does. I can afford an Evo and "nicer" cars. I've had them and still came back. You play Super Mario Bros on NES because you grew up with it and its familiar and just as much fun as new bullshit. Doesn't matter if technology advances, this is the golden age of rally cars and everything that comes with it all wrapped up in a limited production model. The evo just doesn't cut it and I think the ricer kids with that pov do more to hurt values than even the hacked up cars.

Anyway...

Whoodoo

Opinions are great, but you have to expect soap box comments will be made when you get so fired up. That being said, I totally agree with you... hondas get riced because its cheap and easy. However, as for filling in unused holes in the engine bay, sure it takes away "stock-ness", but since when is that bad? As soon as you change the turbo, or the shocks, or anything, the car is no longer stock. And who's to say changing the car in an irreversible way makes it worse? Take a hot rod for example. A 32 ford coupe is sweet when its all done up, and thats far from stock but no one says 'awwww, jeez it would be way better if you had kept the old drum brakes.' I say, if you do it well, then more power it to you. Getting things clean is always the cherry on top of a sweet ride.

As for getting back on topic. Blue, looks like you have quite a few wires just hanging out there. It would be great to see how that all came together. Also, it sounds like someone may be able to turn some profit out of building new harnesses for GVR4's/DSMs?

EDIT: Its funny you mention playing NES cuz I just downloaded an emulator for my computer yesterday and have been playing mario ever since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

H05TYL

Quoting fivestardsm:
DONT! go back to honda if you want to do that! I have one that the guy started to do a wire tuck. It is not impossible, but your ruining a piece of history, not just one of 100-kabillion other hondas.

What on earth are you on about? 3000 vr4's were sold in the US, that hardly makes them rare. Not to mention well over 20,000 were sold in Japan, plus more in Europe.

I'm glad most people don't bother with bodykits on vr4's, to my mind the factory lines work well (I'm talking JDM, the US spec bumpers just kill it imo) but if people want to tidy up and improve the details I'm all for it.

I think the fact vr4's have twice as many wires as most hondas, a significant portion of which are redundant, is a great reason to tidy up the loom!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned