The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

replacement brake lines

Hey guy does anyone know where I can get a good
deal on some replacement hard brakelines the ones
that run under the car. I tried jnz and several other
sites but all they seem to have are the ones near
each wheel I already replaced these with stainless
ones. Thanks for the help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

belize1334

Either Mitsubishi (though probably NLA) or somebody parting out a car. Otherwise it might be easier to just get generic from a parts store (unbent) and then build your own. They come pre-flared with fittings but the longest I've ever seen is about 3 feet so you'll need several sections and some couplers if you do it that way.

If you give me the type of fittings (male/female), thread pitch, length & qty, I can get them made in steel braided in your choice of 7 colors.

Muskrat

Buy a coil of brake line tubing, a flair tool, and bend up your own. Make sure you measure what's currently on there and replace with the same size.

Quick google search found this. Might want to look into it, looks promising.

belize1334

I had forgotten that it comes in rolls but that's probably the cheapest and easiest to get. Likely available at your local parts store. That link does look interesting though. Promising indeed.

atc250r

Staff member
If you decide to build your own please make sure you DOUBLE FLARE them. I would suggest making them from bulk tubing over piecing together ones from shorter lengths of part store line. Less joints means less potential leaks and a cleaner install.

John

atc250r

Staff member
Its a two step process, not just cut the line, slide the end on, and flare it. The reason is that under the pressures seen in a braking system the flare portion can break if its single flared. I'm pretty sure that the reason is because as you flare the end you stretch it and it gets thinner. The first step of the double flare compresses that part of the tube a little to thicken it up I guess:

click

John

JNR

Just remember you cannot double-flare stainless steel, so a heads up if you decide to buy a roll of stainless tubing.

In that case, I imagine you could find some sort of swagelok or parker, etc. fittings designed for hydraulic lines, although you normally need a special too, also, unless you were to weld something at the ends.

atc250r

Staff member
From what I've read, you can't flare stainless with the average flare tool at all.

John

JNR

It's hard, for sure! I've managed to single-flare thin stainless, but it wants to slip out of the (tool) holder as you apply pressure with the screw. IF you tighten the piss out of the holder (around tube), it's possible, but such a PITA, forget about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I imagine they may make power (hydraulic) tools that *may* be able to double flare, but who knows. Be interesting to see what the aftermarket (like inline tube, iirc) do on their repo stainless lines?

[edit - well it sounds like it may be possible afterall (from inline tubes FAQ)]:

Can I double flare stainless steel tube by hand?
Yes, you can double flare stainless steel lines bought from Inline Tube. Our tube is fully annealed and is very easy to work with. We recommend and offer several good flaring tools: Rigid, Imperial Eastman or Blue Point. Carefully follow all the instructions that come with the tool and the tubing, and the flare will be perfect every time.

Interesting...I know on my tool, it will not double flare stainless and mild steel is hard enough (it comes with the dies to double flare, but also warns you of its lack of capabilities; such as SS)

btw - this place (inline tube) makes some good repos, if you ever restore and older car, etc.

Last edited:

Guys thanks for all the recommendations I'm picking
up the the lines this weekend and bending them with
my friend since oem ones are nla from the devil. Just as
a precaution I will be changing both sides for obvious
reasons. I had good brakes one minute and the next mush
I guess thats what I get for letting my girlfriend drive
the car lol.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned