The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My intake grew a size today

NateCrisman

Finally got around to building a new intake pipe for #139. I'v had the filter and pipe laying around for weeks now and just never had the time to cut the U bend up.

Anyway, here's the 3" intake pipe (stainless steel) and little K&N filter I previously was running:
693740298_wWmC4-L.jpg

Heere is the new 4" Aluminum intake pipe with a big monster K&N:
693740658_988WH-L.jpg

Rather than make a permanant cold air intake pipe with the filter in the bumper, which has it's own problems (snow/water getting sucked in, the filter gets trashed, missing plastic fender liner, cutting sheetmetal for passage), I just made it convertable.
The pipe lines up with a hole for the headlight which gets removed at the track anyway. So now I have a "ram cold air" setup for the dragstrip that takes 2 minutes to swap. the filter & bend for the longer 90* bend.
693740470_XHUYv-L.jpg

The Ubend was $37
Filter was $60
3" to 4" silicone reducer was $20

Polish

Should be worth some power for sure. Good job, looks nice.

atc250r

Staff member
That's pretty slick Nate.

NateCrisman

I sure hope it's worth a little something for power at the track. Last time I ran the 11.1, I had no intake at all, just an open turbo. So all the track improvement this could gain me should be in air temp by pulling ambient air instead of "through the radiator" air.

Also got started on the nitrous install, mostly in planning it out. Solonoids mount, hose routes, throttle microswitch, fuel supply fittings, jetting are all figured out. Maybe wednesday Ill actually drill/tap the ic pipe, mount the bottle, and run the lines. Then it's really just wiring in the relays and switches for activation and bottle heater. Ill likely have it totally complete on wednesday.

After checking the few jets I had leftover in my toolbox, seems I only have 37/22 (50hp hit @ 30psi fuel pressure) and a .065 jet (which is like 125hp, way too big to start with). So I need to find some flare jets too. I used to have every jet from .018 to .075 in a tackle box, but stupid me gave it to the guys that bought DSMotorsport. dumb, that will always be handy and relevant. Mostly I need a .020 and a .018 fuel jet so I can lean it out as my current tune is at nearly 50psi base fuel pressure and Id rather not chase my tail moving fuel pressure instead of just pulling fuel via jetting.

Anyway: racegas, 50shot, new intake: hopefully about 10.75@129. Should be interesting the next time out at the track!

Last edited:

NateCrisman

I drove it around a little bit, but I can't hear anything over the exhaust & external wastegate. The car has no muffler at the moment as the rear hanger rusted off the exhaust, I pulled the muffler off in hopes of getting the hanging weight off would prevent the last hanger from tearing off and the whole exhaust crashing down onto the ground as I drive it. Gotta do a whole new exhaust system soon so the car is tolerable on the street.

power wise, it's not going to be any huge increase, I'd be suprised if I gained even 1 mph with it.

2of9

you should have relocated the intake to the passenger window so you could hear the turbo spool like vtec! lololol. had to say it.
anyways, very nice!

1qkfwd

Didn't you know bottles are for babies.

J/K looking good man. You will be surprised how much the cooler air will help out. You might have to adjust your tune for it.

NateCrisman

Oxygen is oxygen. Besides it takes way more skill and brains to tune and setup a nitrous kit well compared to how easy it is to just slap on a big turbo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif you now added another 2 or 3 tuning variables to the mix.

Right now, Im more concerned with getting a 10second slip than anything else. I'v got the nitrous kit sitting here, they don't sell for anything decent even on ebay, so I might as well use it. Only real issue is it will likely make more torque than the 2600 can hold back.

all good though, Im going to need the nitrous next year anyway if I convert to automatic trans. Not planning to use anything stupid expensive for converter, so Ill need an adjustable power source to tune in the launch rpm/power level.

1990ggsxnj

I would think that the ram air effect at over 80mph would increase the efficiency of the turbo, reducing air temps, no?

Did you log your temps with the new (inner engine bay) filter beforehand to do a comparison? That would be good to see how effective it is.

Either way, looks good and is a great idea for those who intermittantly drive over small lakes and glaciers but want a track car too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NateCrisman

I have plenty of datalogs from the track of AIT both running open turbo as well as running with the 3" intake pipe with the filter removed. Will see what happens, but most likely my next time at the track the results will be masked by huge bottle power, unless I have the option to make lots of runs and I decide to shut off the spray for a run. Depends on how things go and how greedy I get.

If I only get like 3 runs in, you can bet Im not going to use one of them to test an intake pipe vs trying to get the best ET I can. Not to mention drivetrain breakage is always on the doorstep and every run could be the last for the season. Do I want to forgo a nitrous pass that could be a new best ET in order to see what little gain if any an intake pipe made?

Likely the only way Im going to find out is if the car goes stupid fast a couple times and either Im satisfied with the ET and feel I can't do any better, if I have a malfunction with the nitrous kit, or the track makes me slow it down or go home.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned