The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Aerocatch hoodpin pictures *Request*

mooserage

Staff member
Can someone with aerocatch hood pins installed please take pictures of install locations? I wanted to see where the best place is to mount them, Thanks.
-shamus

spooling92vr4

pictures arent uploading.. i have a set on my car.... I wasnt able to put them on the correct way because i had sparco pins before.. but they came out nice.. ill get the pics up in a few for you

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting spooling92vr4:
pictures arent uploading.. i have a set on my car.... I wasnt able to put them on the correct way because i had sparco pins before.. but they came out nice.. ill get the pics up in a few for you

Fixed.

Just finally mounted my hood tonight and it was real tight. Gonna have to make some adjustments and then I can work on the hood pins.

4wheelsqueal

the hood's a dented mess but that's why they went in there first. if i screwed them up, i just mess up a junk hood. anyway, i love them.

mooserage

Staff member
Thanks for the pics! Although, I must admit, I was hoping to get a pic of under the hood to see where the pin is being mounted by everyone. If someone doesn't mind posting...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mostly for a vr4 I've seen people drill the pins about 1.5 to 1.75 inches in from the rubber stopper.

Search around in members rides and you may find some pics.

4wheelsqueal

you really have to hack up the underside of the hood to make them fit. will take some pics of the underside of my hood tomorrow.

Armitage

DSC00346.sized.jpg

DSC00348.sized.jpg

Gvr4-330

Sorry, this is the best hood pin pic I have. It's before the Aerocatch pins, but the actual pins are in the same location.

cheekychimp

That write up is very good, I would only add that I remember seeing another one somewhere on the DSM forums which was also very good.

I mention it mainly because the author of that write up gave the sizes of two hole saw attachments for a power drill (the type used to drill circular holes for installing gauges etc). When cutting the opening in the hood he cut two holes which followed the radius of the edges at each end, then he cut a straight line on each side to remove the material left between the two holes.

At the end of the day both methods work and once the catches are installed any rough pieces should be hidden. I just thought the second method sounded much easier.

slugsgomoo

if you want to keep the hood from having issues, it might not be a bad idea to use an epoxy resin to seal the edges where the cuts are made and let it cure before you do the final installation of the latches as well.

I just stumbled across this thorough write up during a search on google. Again, not for a GVR4 but it is a Mitsu and theres many pictures. Here.

4wheelsqueal

nice car. too bad their installed backwards

What do you mean backwards? I've searched all over the net and people seem to put them which ever way works for them. Not all hoods are the same underneath. Unless you are refering to the lipped version. The aerocatch come in two different types as far as I know. The version used on the evo is the kind that sits below the hood.

I'm installing mine so that they don't hang off the edge of where the curve starts thus leaving a gap between the hood and hood pin device.

Here are several other installs.

on a 3000GT

on a civic

on a supra

on a skyline r33 . This write up shows how he changes the position due to a large gap.

on an aston martin

on a lotus

on an audi

another audi

on a soarer/lexus sc

This page shows both the smooth and lipped version side by side. Installed on various 3si cars.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned