The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3000gt rear diff conversion

Any one else put a 3000 gt rear end into their Galant? The 91-93 3000gt has the same gear ratio as the GVR4. I know i will need custom axles and make some mounts for the bigger rear end. Just wondering if anyone has any pics or advice if they have done this conversion before . Thanks!

misterfixit

the pumpkin case is different.. the diff inside it is the same p/n. use it as a donor to rebuild the vr4 pumpkin. the inner joints are the same as the 4 bolt vr4. then all you need is the 4 bolt halfshafts.

the pumpkin mountings are somewhat different on the 3kgt. and the subframe geometry is slightly wider. I think mromik did a conversion using 3kgt arms and such to widen the track . but that was a long time ago.. i'm hoping someone will jump in here and help my memory out.

Rich

We have broken a few 4 bolt rears and evo rears. I know AMS uses the 3000gt rear in their drag car..They sell a $3000 kit to do it. I figured the 3000 gt rear must be better so i am planning on replacing the whole thing. I am going to try and get this thing in the low low 9's

nobody else??? oh well . The diff will be here in a few days. Once i get it in and get all the mounts figured out i will post pics. I talked to the driveshaft shop and they said they can custom make me a set of level 5.

donniekak

What would really solve some more pressing issues would be getting the 3000gt getrag trans into a gvr4/dsm. I'm really thinking about having a bellhousing fabbed to bolt the w5mg1 to a 4g63. Here is a comparison of a 3000gt 3rd gear to a gvr4/dsm 3rd.
pic002-1.jpg

onesickcrx

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif I want that 3rd gear

donniekak

2 good things about that 3rd gear. 1, i have never seen one break, even with 1,300 wtq. 2, the ratio of it allows 120+ mph. My stealth tt ran 45 in first, 80 in second, 125 in third, 165 in fourth, and buried a 180 mph speedo way before redline in fifth. With a 7300 rpm limiter.

curtis

If you could have a bellhousing cast for a 4g63 block and a 6 speed gear box from a 3000 you'll be rich. They can take 6 cylinder torque down low and tote around a dump truck of a car daily and never break they'd last forever in a GVR4

bazeng

I always thought that the 3000GT aka GTO gearboxes were weak?

They always seem to be breaking here in AUS

turbofonz

Those cars are also 3800lbs. Put it in a lighter galant or dsm... it'll last longer.

Quoting bazeng:
I always thought that the 3000GT aka GTO gearboxes were weak?

They always seem to be breaking here in AUS

The biggest issue has always been getting the parts. For many years here in the US Getrag's contract with Mitsubishi was ONLY for complete transmissions, at ~$4k each if I recall, and NO PARTS. The guy I bought my TT from already had the 2nd gear synchros shot with only 1,500 miles on a new transmission! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
I think there is finally a 3rd party making some of the parts, as my best friend, who now owns it, bought 2nd and 3rd gear synchros recently and replaced them.

donniekak

The 5-speed transmissions never break, the transfer cases and output shafts do. There are fixes for those problems. I rebuild w5mg1 and w6mg1 transmission, parts are expensive, but now available. The only problem with these units is that the big heavy shafts and gears wear the synchronizers quick when shifted at high rpm's.

Barnes

Does the 3000GT have a larger diameter clutch than our cars?

donniekak

Yes, but i'm sure a custom disk could be used to go on the getrag input shaft. I'm sure there are tons of problems getting a 3000gt transmission to work in a gvr4/dsm. I'm also sure that if done would eliminate all gear shearing innsues in the dsm/gvr4. I'm looking for a w5mg1 locally so i can measure and see how much getting a bellhousing made will cost.

Last edited:

Barnes

Well. The reason I ask is that the getrag would not have to deal with as much weight if you used a standard DSM/GVR-4 clutch/flywheel. Well, dimensionally they would probably be the same, but I'm guessing a custom clutch hub would be required. Point is, perhaps high RPM shifts would be easier.

By the time you bought the trans had it built and custom fabbed up all the parts to fit it in, you could buy a dog box. good idea though. The only gear we ever really have had troubles with is 4th

donniekak

First off. Have you ever driven a car with a Dog engagement transmission? Good for a race car, but not for the street. They also need rebuilt frequently because the dog teeth wear and the trans starts to slip out of gear. Anything is cheaper that constantly rebuilding a dsm trans. And do you not think that whoever does this won't be able to recoup the r&d costs? Come on, a dsm transmission that will not break, no matter what power you make. How much is that worth to people?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts