The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Custom Fuel Tanks

fivestardsm

I just found this on a site I looked up for other reasons. Maybe someone needs one?

Custom Cells

NateCrisman

I'm going to have Brent @ JMF build me a custom fuel cell this fall. They already make one for 1g dsm, and the GVR4 one will be very similar.

Design criteria:
~8 gallons total capacity. (oem is ~12 gallons right?)

bolts into factory mounting studs.

use the factory fill tubes to the oem gas cap.

use a more common DSM in tank fuel pump sending unit....no more needing the "rare" awd-galant version.

I want to have the sump so that you can go down the dragstrip on about a gallon of fuel. (the stock tank needs about 4 gallons in for the pump to stay submerged) can save 24lb of fuel weight.

The drain on the bottom of the sump will get ALL the fuel out, unlike stock that leaves over a gallon even after dripping stops.

the tank itself should weigh about 13lb vs the stock tank that weighs 31lb. Saves about 18lb.
[/list]

40lb of weight loss can't be bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif The JMF 1G AWD tank sells for about $400, but I'm sure the GVR4 version will be a bit more since it's going to be obviously far lower production # with the same design time.

Last edited:

CarRacer

Why have it use the stock sender? Why not have the sump very low and use an inline pump instead? That should help cut down on fabrication time too.

NateCrisman

why: because it's going to be an "off the shelf" part and most people will end up buying the tank to replace a failed/rusted stock tank, rather than for the weight loss, who most likely would want the intank setup using the stock fuel line. "direct bolt in" kinda thing.

Not to mention even if you use an external pump/SS feed line attached to the sump, you can then still use the stock sending unit for fuel level gauge and low fuel light, even if there is no pump attached. Nice for a street car (99.995% of gvr4's are). I know I'd want the gauge even if I was using an inline external pump.

JNR

what material is he making it from? If aluminum, will inside need coating? SS would be nice, but $$$. Too bad they couldn't make them out of plastic (like HDPE); would think that would be light, too.

TylerAdamson

If they are going to do them in similar fashion to the 1g DSM fuel cells, then they will be made of aluminum and will have an option to anodize them for E85 use. I for one would love a new fuel cell for my Galant, I went to put a 255hp in the other day and the stock tank was covered in rust and I know that the majority of the studs are going to break off once I try to unbolt the sending unit, needless to say I went no further with the process.

I do however still have the fuel cell out of my 1g DSM still sitting around and it would fit pretty well in the spare tire well.

CarRacer

Good points on using the stock sender. I didn't even think of the fuel level and such. I'd be interested in a tank in a year or so. I accidentally set the car down on my floor jack and dented the tank like a retard. It doesn't leak but it's not right either.

Heres a link to the DSM tank. Its aluminum JNR.

JNR

That's cool.

I guess it depends if this is for custom or replacement solution; sounds like the latter. If I were to replace the tank, which I should, I would want something similar to factory dimensions and maybe a little extra capacity (you do have the option to run low to high, depending if you want to go to track, or a long drive), as well as somewhat looking like the original unit..but, with upgraded materials (stainless would be cool) and better design (lighter brackets, accepting oem equipment, sump design, etc.)...Otherwise, if I were going custom, I would look into the many options out there for aftermarket pumps/filters/senders, etc. and design it for those products.

Mine is dented, but in decent shape; although wouldn't mind having aftermarket tank! There are a lot of fab shops that will take your drawings and make whatever you want, as another custom option...The more you can do, the less it'll cost and the better it will end up.

i agree with the above post. If people are looking for a replacement for there factory rusted tank then they will want similar fuel capacity not a race capacity. They would probably sell more if they had stock capacity so then all the gvr4 owners with rusty tanks could buy one

cheekychimp

Nate, if they are going to be building one for you, could you ask them to build a standard capacity one at the same time. I'll buy the one they build to put on my car and I believe that it might prove beneficial to have a stock and reduced capacity tank on offer as street cars will more likely want the higher capacity tank. My only criteria is the replacement tank cannot be any deeper than the OEM one as I have a rear fuel tank skid plate that I wish to retain.

Edit: While he is in there, if he can make a factory filler pipe out of stainless or aluminium, I'd take one of those too as the stock ones corrode like hell up in the rear wheel well area.

Last edited:

vapid

If you're interested in a 'full size' one, send me a pm.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts