The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g eclipse/talon radiator into gvr4?

hey iv'e noticed theres not many aftermarket radiators for gvr4's and the ones i have found are around 400-500 bucks, do 1g eclipse/Talon radiators fit the galant? or does anyone know where i can find a more affordable radiator?

MellowVR4

Edit: rules violation, newbies are not allowed to sell parts, especially in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

TylerAdamson

The 1g radiator does fit, but you'll need to get the water neck also. You need the water neck because the radiator cap is on the water neck on a 1g as opposed to on the radiator on the Galant. Aftermarket 1g radiators will also fit.

SmoothCustomer

I was under the impression that 1gs don't fit but since the inlet and outlet are on the right side they can be made to work.

cspetros

It's not an exact fit. The fans are different (the dsm is not as tall as a stocker). I think you have to rig the top mounts also, because the radiator posts don't reach up to them (I've heard using two bolts to make the posts longer works).

See this post: Radiator Post

The fans can be made to fit, but it's a bit tricky (read down further in that post to see).

Last edited:

DR1665

I've got a 1G DSM radiator in 195. It fits, but only insomuch as it's not too big. As already mentioned...

- The DSM radiator is shorter, so your upper locating brackets won't reach. You'll have to modify.
- The DSM radiator does not have the radiator cap on it, so you'll need the thermostat housing from a 1G DSM.
- You can't use the 1G DSM fan set up, as there is insufficient room between the radiator and turbo.

Have fun.

dsmless

I have a 1g mishimoto in 96 works like a champ just used my 1g water outlet, and a piece of hose i got at a local auto parts store used a longer bolt to hold the radiator in place you do have to use a 1g radiator fan or a aftermarket one, i have the stock puller and has nener overheated on me even in 100 + wheater
img.php

img.php

jepherz

Staff member
I believe an evo3 radiator is a direct fit, but hopefully a search on this board will reveal the true answer. I know user Bimmubishi posted about this exact topic several years ago. The only difference, from what I recall, was that the evo 3 radiator doesn't have the temperature bung installed in the lower part of the radiator.

I've been eyeing different radiators on ebay, and have seen that you can get full aluminum ones for around $150 shipped. I can't speak for their quality or effectiveness, though.

tommyp

DSM radiators are a bitch to burp the air bubbles out. The prob is that the dsm waterneck/cap is lower than the top part of the radiator. I suppose I could have been doing it wrong at the time. Filling a radiator usually would take me a few minutes. The dsm radiator took me quite some time. I was very happy to convert back to a stocker orientation. Filling was a breeze after that. Good luck.

bustedsm

Easy squeezy, Afco Scirrocco radiator and you're done.

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

I think you'll have no problems, ever, with this setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

turbowop

Quote:
think you'll have no problems, ever, with this setup

Except that you can't have AC since that radiator take the space of the condenser. No thanks.

turbowop

It's been 100degrees out everyday the past week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Have you ever been to Eastern WA in the summer? Not all of WA is cold and rainy like Seattle.

bustedsm

Oh I know, have you ever been to St. Louis in August? 90+ with 1000000% humidity lol

turbowop

I was born in Tampa, so I know what humid feels like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Luckily, the heat is pretty dry here.

damn that looks clean all tucked away, i finally got a radiator, i ditched the a/c ill just drive with the windows down in summer, ill get sum pics asap thanks for the ideas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned