The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trans wont go into neutral...

supersp0rt2

So i recently did a trans swap for a used transmission. I started it up last night and noticed it wouldnt go into neutral.

The only time it will stay in neutral is when the clutch is depressed. It will start to move the car in every gear but wont budge when i put it in reverse.

I adjusted the shift cables and that didnt make a difference. Also the shift lever on the trans when put through 1st-neutral-2nd glides though its entire movement. It doesnt click from 1st to neutral to 2nd.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Terry Posten

Broken shift fork.

supersp0rt2

After looking at it for a while I did notice it seemed like it was going into 2 gears at once. So im thinkin you sir are correct. Thank you for confirming my assumption. Back to the garage floor....JSB fo life!

Terry Posten

The forks are fairly easy to replace. You just have to remove the tranny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

TRE sells forks for around $20 each.

supersp0rt2

I got the trans out again. Is there any difference between any of the shift forks? I was hoping to use the 5th-R fork from my other trans considering its so easy to get to. Also what would be the best way to get at the 1st-2nd fork? Should I start at the bellhousing or tear down from the 5th gear side?

GVR4_1057

Each fork is different. You will have to start from the 5th gear end.

Terry Posten

And the pins that hold the forks on can be a PAIN to get out. Don't try and save them, buy new ones with the forks.

supersp0rt2

Ok I'll be attempting this as soon as i get the new fork and roll pin. Thanks again for the quick replys and sound advice. Maybe a how to opportunity awaits...

GVR4_1057

You will have to remove all 3 forks to replace the 1-2, therefore you need all 3 replacement pins. Also it is a good idea to get new nuts for the 5th gear end of the transmission(the ones that hold 5th gear on). Be careful of where the shims come from if any of your bearing races fall out when you take it apart,they are very important /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

supersp0rt2

Yeah I just downloaded the service manual from lilevo and was doing some homework. I noticed I would have to punch out the end nut "detents" to get to the good stuff and remove the shift fork assembly. So I'll be getting those parts along with the new shift fork from TRE. Theres also a decent write up on vfaq with some precautions and pics. I feel much more confident in getting this done right with all the proper specs. Lilevo pdf's are win.

Terry Posten

Take a pic of the carnage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

supersp0rt2

So I pulled the trans apart tonight and found the shift rail end was my problem.

No real carnage to speak of, the trans is pretty damn clean.

Im sure this looks pretty familiar... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts