The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

no 5th or reverse

So, had fifth and reverse driving to school, did not have fifth or reverse driving back (

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Posten

Make sure all the cables are tight and firmly in the mounting point.

Make sure the shifter linkage arms on the tranny have not spun on the shafts.

Have someone go from 3rd to 5th and watch the arms on the tranny, then remove the cables and see if you can manually move then into 5th by going just a little bit more than the shifter allows.

Yeah I will check all that tomorrow, but first I'll fill the reservoir and see if that helps. It has most likely emptied past the cylinder, is there a bleed procedure?

Gravity bleed it. Loosen the valve a little bit and let it drain. Just make sure the reservoir doesnt go dry.

Alright.
Addendum: Shifter would not only not shift into 5th or reverse, it would not go over to then go up or down.
Update: Played with shifter after car had cooled down, pushed it over, it made a little noise and did it. Took it for a test drive, no problems......
Gonna check those linkages tomorrow.

Terry Posten

Make sure the brackets that bolt to the tranny are tight.

Check bolts, got it.
So, I have in my hands one bottle of Dot 3 brake fluid, and one bottle of "clutch fluid". The goobers at autozone tell me the computer says Dot 3, but they tried to sell me this clutch fluid stuff anyway. Which one do I put in the reservoir?

Terry Posten

I use full synth brake fluid but I did replace every part of the clutch system so that I knew evereything was good and fresh.

Terry Posten

Good call.

kaptainballistik

Could this also be the cause of a 5th gear that always crunches except when you are going slowly? ( Doubble cluching doesnt stop it...)

And reverse popping out?

( If it is..damm, just filled it with smurf blood!)

That is what is very strange about the whole thing, no problems before or since. It stays in gear, never pops out, only crunches when I don't press that dang clutch pedal ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR when shifting into third gear.

Checked the linkages, they are all tight, for whatever good that does me. Going to go road test it and do what the guy in the link recommends to see if the shifter moves before I tear my transmission apart.

Knob is rock solid, does not move at all when letting off the throttle. Going to chock the whole thing up to dirty/worn/misaligned detents/interlocks and hope it doesn't happen again.

Hertz

Staff member
I'd check the shifter cables next... pull the cotter pin, pop the cable off and make sure it isn't twisted, and that it isn't too long/short.

Hksvr4

Take the shifter cables off and shift it manually on the tranny. Go through every gear. If it goes into gear then it's your cables. If it doesn't then it's the tranny.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned