The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4WS

prove_it

I'm going to ask who has removed their 4ws and why? Has anyone noticed better handling without it, or is it about the same?

GVR4_1057

I removed it in one car b/c I went to a 4 bolt and did not want to do the work to keep it.
I removed it from the other car b/c the lines rusted and leaked and I did not want to do the work to keep it.
I could only feel the AWS when I made a really sudden steering input at speed. It felt neat but I do not miss it. Now it just feels like a regular car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

jepherz

Staff member
I removed it in one of my cars because I was doing so much undercarriage cleaning/work and I wanted to eliminate it for performance reasons. I can't really say how much of a difference it made because I also did wheels/tires, bushings, alignment, and coil-overs at the same time :)

I'm keeping it in my other car because I think it is a neat feature and I'm keeping that car stock.

2of9

I dont think i'll remove it until i get a 4 bolt rear...but i also want to keep it because it's a rare feature for a car like this. I think i 'feel' it on the highway merging lanes but other than that, the awd is quite awesome compared to my brother's accord.

prove_it

I notice it when lane changing on the interstate. I'm also wondering if it can create snap oversteer. That and how much does it REALLY help in a fast corner?

Last edited:

It helps by not making the car feel like a fork truck!

4ws is more a marketing ploy, then a performance modification.

My car was super tight through 70 mph sweepers with tons of steering input, solid.

I drove my buddies bone stock 91 the other day, it was gross. All sloppy and such.

14u2nV

I don't understand it, maybe you guys just all have loose parts, but my vr4 with ~70k miles handled awesome with the rear steer. Corners that my truck handles at 60, the vr4 would do 80+ and lane changes were quick and responsive. I never once thought it felt unsafe or loose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Now with all the poly bushings, cleanup and restore, I imagine it's gonna be toyt like a toyger.

Last edited:

prove_it

Quoting 14u2nV:
I don't understand it, maybe you guys just all have loose parts, but my vr4 with ~70k miles handled awesome with the rear steer. Corners that my truck handles at 60, the vr4 would do 80+ and lane changes were quick and responsive. I never once thought it felt unsafe or loose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Now with all the poly bushings, cleanup and restore, I imagine it's gonna be toyt like a toyger.

Um you can do 20 over what your truck can do? either the vr4 is not quite pushing it or that's one scary truck.

So where is everyone getting their poly kits?

Ditched it. It causes the rear to tuck in and delays rotation. Maybe works fine on gravel, but not what I want for autocross. Much better without it. Plus yanking the rack loses a few pounds and lets you run a proper 4-bolt rear end.
Mike R.

Quote:
Corners that my truck handles at 60, the vr4 would do 80+

A VR4 doesn't need 4WS to out handle a truck.
Mike R.

14u2nV

Jesus tits, I was using it as an example. Want a better one, ok, I could take a 45mph corner at 100 and not even stress over it, never even got out of my lane. Happy now everyone? People that bitch about the AWS, have worn parts, end of story. Refresh everything and it works great.

45 MPH is just a sticker on a board on a post planted in the ground. That was obviously a 100-MPH corner that was mislabeled. Probably would have been 110 MPH without 4WS.
Mike R.

Last edited by a moderator:

JNR

lol....yes, curves are almost always rated lower than an 'average' car can safely take them (safety factor); now, 100 mph, well that's pushing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only thing I don't like about the 4WS is in long curves, it makes the rear 'feel' like it wants to move around, although it's more of a feeling than the car actually doing anything. and yeah, making quick lane changes, it can be felt (as compared to a regular car)...

I will keep mine, even if I go to a 4-bolt someday. This car is not a competition vehicle for me, and I kind of like the feature, whether it's marketing ploy, or not. Just another thing that is special to these and, although mine is modified quite extensively, I like to keep everything intact and functional (even the ice cold A/C and ABS).

^^ That's the spirit, JNR!! Eventually, the few GVR4's that still have A/C,cruise,4ws, and so on will become more worth , than the other ones. Doesn't matter how long it takes, but it'll happen.

well there goes my cars value lol. No a/c, no cruise (although i love the throttle response without it), aws well i know its all there but not sure if it works or not I cant tell because my tires are balloons anyways.

dsmguy3

I want to keep my AWS just because the car is 99% stock and unmolested. I haven’t gotten a chance to drive it yet so I can’t say I have an opnion on how it handles.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts