The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lightweight pulley vs OEM balancer

Kenny_Kline

I have an unorthadox aluminum lightweight crank pulley. It came with the car. The pulley weighs maybe .5 lbs. I never liked the idea of running that pulley as it doesnt have a balancer on it so I ordered a harmonic balancer. It came in today and weighs about 15lbs!!! Thats all that extra weight on the rotating assembly.

Discuss

jepherz

Staff member
I'd rather have some extra weight on the rotating assembly than have a broken crank, but that's just me.

1941Galant

I'd rather have a Fluidampr . They apparently weigh 5.5lbs. (never weighed mine), but that is probably for the Aluminum version, which I think they are made out of steel now.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Damn, for $289, I'd rather buy a stock mitsu piece and spend the rest on something else.

boostedinaz

I perosnally would rather run a new stock harmonic dampner than the UR part. The very minimal gain isn't worth the possible issues.

Lightweight crank pulley = FAIL.

When you take weight off the crank, you are changing the rotating balance of it.

Want more power? Turn the boost up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

jepherz

Staff member
^^^ Can you explain that? I've never understood why you can't just static balance every crank component (flywheel, etc.) and put them together to create a balanced unit.

gvr4ever

Is the stock unit dampened for the crank, or the accessories running off the crank? Either way, stock unit is proven to work, it cheap, and the crank pulley isn't really the last place to find extra power on this engine. Unless maybe, it is a track only car and you don't care about failure and you need every HP you can find.

Brianawd

Quote:
I have an unorthadox aluminum lightweight crank pulley

And you call me a hack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Any way toss that pulley in the trash. Just spend the money and buy a ATI or Fluidampr. Why spend the money on a factory one to take the chance of it coming apart and taking out you timing belt cover and or timing belt.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Quoting Kenny_Kline:
I have an unorthadox aluminum lightweight crank pulley. It came with the car. The pulley weighs maybe .5 lbs. I never liked the idea of running that pulley as it doesnt have a balancer on it so I ordered a harmonic balancer. It came in today and weighs about 15lbs!!! Thats all that extra weight on the rotating assembly.

Discuss

Are your engine internals stock?

Add a lightweight flywheel & v-cut crank, that would make up the weight difference.

G

Staff member
The stock damper is tuned to the harmonics of stock internals.

prove_it

Spend the money and time and get a lighter flywheel. In my opinion that is.

Dialcaliper

What you are talking about is primary imbalance, which creates main bearing loads - as long as all of the components are equal weight, those won't be a problem.

The crank damper is to damp out "secondary" resonances, which are "twisting" vibrations in the crank. What happens is that every two revolutions, each cylinder fires. This creates a twist as it fights against the compressing cylinder and the flywheel mass. it springs back quickly, but when the crank RPM matches up with these vibrations, the crank starts wringing back and forth. The damper adds an extra wobbling mass that keeps the resonance from amplifying. Without the damper, you can eventually cause the crank, or clutch/driveline parts to fail.

Quoting jepherz:
^^^ Can you explain that? I've never understood why you can't just static balance every crank component (flywheel, etc.) and put them together to create a balanced unit.

Kenny_Kline

Well I am on stock internals, ARP rod bolts, new bearing, new rings, balanced pistons/rods, BSEK. I hated the idea of having that aluminum pulley on there. I bought an OEM one which I hope will do the job and after reading the info in this thread, it looks like that I made the right choice.

FYI: I have heard horror stories about using the fluidamper

Brianawd

Quote:
FYI: I have heard horror stories about using the fluidamper

And what would they be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

G

Staff member
Never heard one problem with the fluidampr.

Dialcaliper

The horror stories you have probably heard involve running the fluidamprs up to very high RPM on high horsepower cars - It works by heating the silicone fluid up, causing it to stiffen (just like a VCU). What happened was they got so hot that the fluid expanded and burst the casing.

I believe they fixed the problem by switching from the original aluminum case to the steel one - slightly heavier, but safer.

A new OEM unit is suitable for most applications. A fluidamper or ATI is usually only called for on high RPM, seriously tuned engines.

Of all the places you can shave weight, the harmonic balancer is not the place to skimp

bigblock4g63

Quoting Kenny_Kline:

Discuss

i have had mine for over 8 years on my car and i even had one my 4g63 rail car without any problems.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned