The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Yes ANOTHER clutch group discussion. Est on torque amount

mean_green

Not sure if I should post here or in newbie section but Im sure it'll get moved if need be.

With my clutch on its way out Im trying to do some clutch research like everyone else it seems.

Im not a big fan of ACT, maybe its what Im looking for being the best bang for buck but to his their own.

I've been looking at the SPEC clutchs and kind of leaning towards them until I do more research. Maybe a stage 2 with their flywheel mated up to it. Does anyone have any experience with these clutches. I was told they're just the same as Exedy and made by them as well.

What are some other combos I could reasearch on. Id love to go rock a PTT setup but I cant afford a grand for the setup. Ive been reading some things on Clutchnet that Jesse swears by but it seems all these websites are a little pain to use and I dont know how much clutchnet is going to run me, maybe Revolution himself can chime in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Havent looked into Carbonetics yet but Im sure they're going to be an arm and a leg along with quartermasters. Id really like to rock a carbon clutch and a light flywheel to help my future autox duties. Not much for mod list, going to leave internals and head and just try to get as much possible out of my e3 16g as I can with supporting mods. (keydiver chip, fuel, ETS fmic, 3in exhaust)

T.I.A. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
-Alan

Last edited:

CarRacer

I'm looking at clutches as well. I'm looking at the Fidanza clutches pretty hard.

I'll be using my car as a DD with a 14b turbo. I'm leaning towards the 3.1 model. I think that would probably fit the bill for you as well. They are a bit cheaper than ACT.

deez

I have an ACT flywheel with Clutchnet clutch, and it grabs pretty good. Downside is its a bit chattery, and its not a puck style either.
I had an ACT 2100 on my Conquest, and it grabbed well and did not chatter. And from what I have heard, they have improved the design of the disc for better reliability.

thecman02

I did a review about my clutch set up somewhere on here, i'm going to live up to my tag as "too lazy to look". I have the 4.3 fidanza set up and flywheel. It is awesome. It isn't heavy, hasn't slipped on me ever. It was also a good price. i got my flywheel and clutch from maperformance for 500 bucks shipped.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

First of all you have to choose one that will be able to hold the amount of torque you think your car will put down.
They all have their own problems so just pick one and do a prayer and go with it.
For every 100 satisfied ACT customers you'll fine at least that many that are unhappy. And so on with every other brand. Twin disks are
in the same boat. I've seen guys say "screw ACT/Fidanza/Spec" I'm going with a twin disk and end up messing up the splines on the twin disk or start
breaking other stuff.

mean_green

Ok so in the GVR4.org professional opionion-

What kind of torque number can I expect to see off a 180k+ motor with

E3 Setup (16g, ex. mani. o2 housing -might change to atmo dump)
750's
Rewired pump
Keydiver chip
FPR and all that
CM 3in exhaust
Dejon Tool intake pipe w/ K&N
ETS fmic -probably a TurboXS BOV

Might be forgetting something but you get the jist.

1badgvr4

Quoting mean_green:

750's
Rewired pump
Keydiver chip
FPR and all that
CM 3in exhaust

Stick with the 1g bov.

A clutchnet setup to suit your needs runs $410 shipped. It will hold 400+ft/lbs no problem. I have used and sold many different clutches and its my opinion that clutchnet makes the best single disc clutch out there. You really can't go wrong with an ACT either. Its the most proven clutch out there and with recent revisions to the design shouldn't give you any of the problems they may have in the past.

Lonewolf64

Quoting 1badgvr4:
Quoting mean_green:

750's
Rewired pump
Keydiver chip
FPR and all that
CM 3in exhaust

Stick with the 1g bov.

+1 Just buy the dejon tool leak stop mod for the 1g and it will not leak up to 30psi. I recall Kiggly used to run 2 of these in tandem on his 9 sec drag car.

Struc

I'm personally very partial to the Centerforce Dual Friction setup. I've had one in my Spyder for the past 65k+ miles, and it's been fantastic. Light pedal (nearly stock), with much better gripping force. If you're under 350hp, I'd highly recommend it. Best price can be found at Amazon.com, shockingly.

stealthtt24

What clutch disk do you guys recommend for a gvr4 with a fp3065 at about 28 pounds of boost? I had an act 2100 with stock disk and sold it and now I am looking at a 2600 or 2900 pp with either an act sprung 6 puck or clutchnet sprung 6 puck...

mean_green

Quoting Struc:
I'm personally very partial to the Centerforce Dual Friction setup. I've had one in my Spyder for the past 65k+ miles, and it's been fantastic. Light pedal (nearly stock), with much better gripping force. If you're under 350hp, I'd highly recommend it. Best price can be found at Amazon.com, shockingly.

The car just went threw two of those, neither really from me because they were installed before I had the car but thats the one I just killed. I agree great pedal feel but Im leaning pretty hard towards SPEC. Anyone with experience with those clutches?

Ive always rocked Exedy in all my cars so if SPEC is a company off Exedy I dont see where I can go wrong. I really want to buy a matching clutch/flywheel setup. Fidanza looks pretty interesting as well but they dont give any torque ratings I can find which makes me a little nervous.

-Alan

SPEC is a family owned business in Alabama and they are not owned by Exedy. They also make their own clutches.

Daryl

mean_green

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Man Im way off then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Had more than one person going to show me an "article" that explained how SPEC and Exedy are related.

They dont order their materials from Exedy or anything? No ties what so ever?

SPEC as does, ACT as does, Exedy, Centerforce, Clutchnet etc. buys raw materials (pressure plates) from the OE supplier in most cases because of the high tooling cost involved in stamping a new cover (the part painted, blue, yellow etc.) If Exedy wants to make an aftermarket VW/Audi clutch they buy the OE part from Sachs rather than stamp the cover themselves. The same goes for SPEC, Centerforce etc. if they want to make a Evo clutch the only company that makes the cover is Exedy (because of the patent they have on the pull type design used although that hasn't stopped overseas companies from copying it), so they must buy a stock Exedy clutch. What happens to the part after that determines the difference between one manufacturer to another.

The only tie SPEC or any other manufacturer has to Exedy, Valeo, Luk or Sachs is as a vendor of raw parts. As in any industry various companies supply others with parts to keep manufacturing cost down. Most of the above applies to stamped single disc covers. There is however an increase in the number of companies in the market that sell and market clutches that aren't made by them though and that's what I refer to as manupacturing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Daryl

gtluke

i have a spec flywheel in my mustang and it was made by fidanza. i think my spec clutch was made by valeo but yeah spec gets the raw parts and adds their own stuff. like the springs. or maybe they just "spec" out the parts from the OEM i have no clue.
i do know that spec is a great company with quality parts. i'll probably go with them for my next galant clutch
currently i have a CF DF and it feels GREAT. it does NOT hold well for abusive drag launches though. but for aggressive street use or road racing stuff it's fantastic. holds the torque prefect, but the heat from a drag launch doesn't do so well. my transmission loves me with the better release smoother engagement over the grabby and slammy ACT 2600 clutches i previously ran, which all prematurely exploded to hell in dramatic fashion. i don't even drag my care more than like 3 passes a year average.

G

Staff member
Exedy is a manufacturer click

Dialcaliper

Manupacturing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

"Exedy Global" happens to own the Daikin brand name, which is the OE clutch manufacturer for many Japanese cars, which is probably why you were told that Spec and Exedy were related. Pretty much every performance clutch builder will use a cover and pressure surface made by the OEM (sometimes there are more than one), and then either mix and match, or procure their own springs to make a clutch. That's part of the reason aftermarket clutches are painted different colors - otherwise there would be no markings to tell what the clutch was.

thecman02

The torque specs I got when I inquired over a year ago I believe was around 275 ft lbs for 2.1, 350ft lbs for 3.2, 450ft lbs 4.3 and 5.4 is just brutal.

The thing to note is what material the disc is made out of and then compare it to equivalent set ups. The Fidanza clutch set up uses more aggressive surfaces with lighter clamping force (2250lbs).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned