GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » cold weather = no start?
Previous thread Next thread

cold weather = no start?

jesus_ralliart
souls of the defeated
1806/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 755411 posted 02/06/09 12:06 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
So, i know its not for my gvr4 but I figure id post up if it happens to help someone out if an answer is posted. Anyhow, on to the story..

Yesterday, my bro tried to move his 198-something Mercedes diesel and he cranked it and nothing. The car had all the electrical working but the car didnt turn over. Anyhow, my question is : Does cold weather affect the battery in a way where it wouldn't start? It seems somewhat possible but I never considered it, nor have I had a problem with it.

Also, would be curious to know if its a problem that could possibly affect the vr4 since its been well below freezing here in north jersey. And, if so, what can be done to have the car turn over(Either the mercedes or a vr4)?

Posts: 539 | From: rockaway, nj | Member Since: 01/22/08 | IP: (68.197.197.11) | Report this post to a Moderator

vr4play
handles best on 3 tires
816/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 755419 posted 02/06/09 12:25 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
If the battery is weak cold weather will kill it. Diesels have really high compression and require a lot of juice to get them turned over. Usually diesels should have a block heater when it is really cold helps cold start quite a bit. Diesels don't like cold weather in general especially older ones. The newer ones aren't as bad. As for the galant just make sure the coolant is good for really cold weather and that the oil isn't too thick and that the battery is in good shape.

816 of 1000
[email protected]
??? of 2000
[email protected] on 93oct
[email protected] on C16
[email protected] on E90
ASE Certified Master Technician
www.Performance-Alignment.com

Posts: 397 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Member Since: 02/07/08 | IP: (208.102.124.112) | Report this post to a Moderator

jesus_ralliart
souls of the defeated
1806/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 755835 posted 02/07/09 03:07 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
ill ask him if he got it running when i see him again. I know the car has glow plugs which warm up for like 5 sec before he fires the car up.

Posts: 539 | From: rockaway, nj | Member Since: 01/22/08 | IP: (68.197.197.11) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 884

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.057 seconds in which 0.047 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page