The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Centerforce DF question

GVR-4

Where is the best place to buy a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch kit? And will the OEM throwout bearing work or is there something special to use with this clutch?

TIA

Struc

I looked around long and hard for one. Best price I found was (suprisingly) on Amazon.com, and free shipping to boot!

Scan for DF536010 on Amazon.com. It's $364.40.

Last edited:

Not to hack you thread or anything, but I burnt my CF DF out in about 4 moonths in my 2g talon. I was running a B16G at 17psi. I only launched it at the track about 7 or 10 times. Had much better luck with ACT 2600.

GVR-4

Thanks for the responses, guys. I know it's a pretty mild clutch, but I am moving more toward DD practicality with the Galant. This will be my 3rd different clutch since I have owned the car and I want something mild. I am also putting the stock weight flywheel back in. I will not launch it, autocross it or take it to the drag strip. I just want it to be easy to drive. I plan on getting a Dodge Colt at some point that will be my dedicated project car.

Brianawd

You can always use a act street disc. It works and works well for lightly modded cars. RRE used to sell that set up and called it the xclutch.

I liked the pedal feel of the DF, but was not impressed with the durability. I literally only launched it 7 or 8 times. Im not sure that under higher boost than stock you wouldn't have problems slipping, no launches needed. But, the pedal feel was just like stock. I would maybe even go a 2100 w/ street disc.

onesickcrx

I have a Centerforce in my car never slipped one time 16G 21psi daily. I love the feel of it I installed it with a act street light flywheel. Oem throw out bearing.

Struc

I've had a Centerforce DF clutch in my 96 Spyder for 75k miles now. I'd say it holds up to daily driving just fine. It may not be a great track or autocross clutch, but the feel of it is fantastic, and the durability under just street beating once in a while is second to none.

well, maybe I got a fluke. I know the pedal feel was fantastic, i just seemed to tear it up quickly.

your money either way, maybe you'll have great luck with it. It was the most streetable clutch I ever owned.

GVR-4

One thing is for sure; some people have had success with the CFDF and some have not. RRE's website says the same thing. Hopefully I will have good luck with it.

Thanks again for all the input.

I ran the CFDF for many years on #1886, and it never slipped, no matter how much I abused it. The trick with the CF clutch is PROPER breakin. You CANNOT do high rpm launches or dump the clutch for the first 500 miles or more. I think that is where most of them go bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

onesickcrx

I broke mine in for 1000 easy miles and not highway miles eather works flawless

Yeah, I broke mine in for 800 miles with no launches or above 3/4 throttle. I musta just had a crappy one.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting GVR-4:
One thing is for sure; some people have had success with the CFDF and some have not

That goes for almost all the clutch setups out there, even twin disk. Some have good luck with them, others don't.

Personally I've had good experiences with CFDF.

Had one in my 89 isuzu impulse turbo. Put at least 20k miles on it. It was also my first manual car so it took a lot of abuse without any problems.

The CFDF in the vr4 lasted for over 30k miles of abuse on the b16g then with an 18g then FP Green. When I built the motor the disk was still in decent shape but since everything was apart I decided to go with a CF DFX pressure plate and ACT street disk. So far I've put about 3800 miles on this setup and its fine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts