The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacement fuel filler hose?

jepherz

Staff member
Is the rubber fuel filler hose still available from the dealer? If not, what can I use as a replacement?

Last edited:

I dont know if it is available from the factory, but Gates makes some green-stripe (i believe) fuel filler hose you can buy by the foot. We sold it when I worked at carquest and Oriellys. Just need to know approx. length and diameter.

Last edited by a moderator:

To be honest, I have never looked at the filler hose on our cars. Flexibility depends on diameter, mostly. I seem to remember it being fairly bendy, kinda like thick, reinforced radiator hose.

Struc

Deleted my own post... Can't seem to read the difference between filter and filler.

Last edited:

Barnes

I'm terrible. I took the old filler hose, and just went into the back of the parts store and found a radiator hose that was similar. Works so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

1941Galant

I bought one from JNZ a few months ago for like $23, I hear that they are NLA now. JNZ did tell me tat the breather hose is NLA though, I just ended up using some braided fuel line and clamps for that.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting BarnesMobile:
I'm terrible. I took the old filler hose, and just went into the back of the parts store and found a radiator hose that was similar. Works so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Is radiator hose meant to hold up to gasoline? I didn't think it was but was going to do the same if it was.

Terry Posten

If you have to, just replace the stock filter with an aftermarket part and replace all the ends according to what is needed on the new filter. Then tap the stock rail for an AN fitting.

Rausch

^ Filler, not filter. As in Filler neck/hose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry Posten

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Wow, I read that wrong.

I think Jeremy Clark was also having issues with this.

Barnes

Been there for months. Unless it's rotting out from the inside, it's fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Might be worth looking up rubber and gasoline compatibility.

radiator hose is not reccomended for gasoline. It will corrode from the inside. May take a week or a year, but it will happen.

Barnes

Bummer. Guess I better get on that.

atc250r

Staff member
The radiator hose will get all soft and gooey from the exposure to gasoline and its fumes. I would suggest hitting up a marine store and getting the hose that is used to connect boat fuel tanks to the filler on the side of the boat. It is made to flex but I don't know if its flexible enough for the bend needed on our cars. If you need a 90* bend in it you can just get a stainless elbow in the correct diameter and splice it into the appropriate location on the filler hose.

John

same stuff at parts store, boat barn prob more expensive.

gates parts #'s follow:

1 1/2" is pn 23924

1 7/8" is pn 23930

2" is pn 23932

2 1/4 is pn 23936

2 1/2 is pn 23940

(should be about 1.15-1.50 per foot. for any of the above)

Quoting Terry Posten:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Wow, I read that wrong.

I think Jeremy Clark was also having issues with this.

I took care of that problem for Jeremy a while back. It's nla @ this point as I bought (at least I think I did) all that was left in the system & they're all gone now.

I'm working on getting this remade in ss. It will require 2 couplings & 4 clamps to make it work but this has been on my list of things to have made for about 3-4 mths now. I'll keep everyone posted. I just need to get my car back off the stands & on the ground so I can take it to the shop.

I also carry -12an fuel hose that will work for the breather hose as well click me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts