The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Differences between steering columns; alarm vs. no alarm

jepherz

Staff member
I just put a steering column in my car form an 89 base model galant. Everything was fine until I noticed that when I try and lock the doors from the inside before getting out of the car, the log just pops back up. Keep in mind that this is all with the key removed from the ignition.

Is there something missing on a column from a car without a factory alarm perhaps? I know I have heard of this same thing happening to others, but only when the key is left in the ignition...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Did you keep the original ignition lock mechanism and key cylinder? There is a small switch on the side of the ignition switch assembly called the "key reminder switch". It affects the lock and the chime for when the key is left in. Mine was broken and my locks did the same thing. Is yours in place? Working? Plugged in?

jepherz

Staff member
So you're saying all cars have this switch and it has only a single wire hooked up to it? Yes, I did keep the same lock cylinder. I'll check that wire tonight. Thanks Dave!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I don't think it was a single wire. I think it was a 4-pin plug, IIRC. I have a spare at home.

jepherz

Staff member
Well, I'm not sure if it was the fact that the new column I put in was from an '89 galant, or because it was a base model, but I checked that switch on it. Turned out the new rack only had 2 pins in it rather than 4. I was able to just unscrew the switch and swap them out. Not sure what the other two wires are responsible for then, maybe a lighted key-ring on a DSM?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned