The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO springs?

Kenny_Kline

Now I know there is a few threads out there of people putting the EVO stock springs in the Galant. I was looking at a set of Eibachs and said to myself, if they EVOVIII stock springs fit in our galant, why not just buy a drop spring made for the EVO.

Eibach Prokit lower the EVO: Front-1.0" Rear-1.0"

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

go for it. they even probably cost less than gvr4 specific eibachs. almost everything for the vr4 cost MORE except brakes.

Armitage

Note that all the Evo springs out there have stiffer rears than fronts. It's the opposite with our cars - normally the fronts are stiffer.

Here's some info on various Evo springs (scroll halfway down page):

click

Myles

Keep in mind the evo is also lighter then our cars. Also the Rear Springs are much more Narrow and will bow out on the perch. You can correct that by purchasing a spacer from JNZ and Cutting the coil to compensate for the spacer. My old setup was KYB AGX all around with EVO springs in the rear w/ the spacer, and Eibach springs in the front. It had a very aggressive rake to it

Dialcaliper

Actually, the USDM Evo 8 is listed at about the same curb weight as the VR-4.

Evo 9 Curb: 3219-3285 lbs (RS, MR)
Evo 8 Curb: 3269 lbs
Galant VR-4 Curb: 3250 lbs

Both cars are 60/40 weight distribution, hence the reason the Evo suspension works so well when adapted to the VR-4 (not counting the differences in suspension geometry). I'm not sure where the idea came from that the spring rates were reversed, but if the number is fairly small, it's probably being expressed mm/kg instead of kg/mm, N/mm or lbs/in like it usually is. In that case, a lower number means a stiffer spring.

You're thinking of the older Lancer/Mirage chassis Evos, which are much smaller and lighter from the Evo I at 2579-2734 lbs to the Evo 6 at 2756-2996 lbs. The Evo has steadily increased its waistline over the years, and the added technology systems, the jump to the Cedia platform and the USDM safety and emission package didn't help. This is why the Evo 1-6 are generally regarded as better performing cars (That and the fact that they were homologated Group A rally cars as opposed to just high performance street cars like the VII onward). The Evo WRC shares very little besides the engine and general appearance with the newer generation roadgoing versions.

So the saying goes for engines you can make a lot of tweaks, but ultimately there's no replacement for displacement, for improved handling, there are tweaks, but no substitute for several hundred pounds of weight loss.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned