The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Electric Power Steering Pump

DailyDSM

Has anyone ever tried adapting an electrical power steering pump to their Galant? I pulled my engine today and realized how much it could clean up the engine bay. I have an electrical PSP from a 2g MR2 that I picked up at the junkyard a while ago that I thought I could adapt to one of my projects. These are commonly adapted by people running in Honda Challenge. It seems like it would fit nicely where the emissions canister sits. While the engine is out I'm going to be swapping in a DSM steering rack to eliminate the 4WS lines up front and thought it might be a good time to try experimenting with an electric pump. There isn't really any performance benefit other than constant pump pressure. The main benefit I see is eliminating the stock pump and cleaning up that corner of the engine bay. There would be plenty of room near the windshield washer reservoir for a power steering fluid reservoir.

Here is what the pump looks like:

EHPS.jpg

-Tim

Last edited:

belize1334

I could see there being a benefit in not having the pump hammering away at 7k right before a big shift. I know some people switch to electric water and oil pumps for that reason (though mostly in the domestic scene).

cOmpressor

Sounds like a good project to me, I would try my best to make it work. You would think some power would be gained by not having it on the belt system but how much is the question.

curtis

Kind of off subject but I had a waterpump bearing experimenting with a neighbor kids go cart yesterday. I was going to use the bearing because it was here but desided against it because of the resistance it had. The bearing is good but as a chain tensioner it wouldn't work. I chucked it up in a drill and within 30 seconds of spining it the bearing started getting hot. Lots of resistance just to keep the bearing greased and the shaft straight. Thats a HP killer.

Keep us informed....I want one.

If anyone now the flow rates and pressures of either or both systems post it up.

What year MR2's are these from......????????????

curtis

Man your killing me . My car is no where close to going together and you just put another project on the pile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The links below was from only a few minutes of research nothing on line pressures/volumes I did see the later models have one but has a built in tank. I like the one you have better.

One guy has it on a jeep.

wiring in the toyota factory controller with how to and what to get

honda boys did it also

video of subaru unit adapted to a hydro brake booster from a ford I think.

more electrical stuff

curtis

One more thing about this. I'm sure the pump is to small a volume for a water system but is the pump head removable from the electric motor. If the motor is a sealed unit that simply bolts to a pump head maybe the correct size pump head could be found to use this cheap electric motor as a electric water pump.

I have a friend that bought a electric water pump and it was around 600 dollars for his supra build up. Way to much for what it gives but a 100 dollar pump and an electric motor from an MR2 maybe a cheap alternative.

DailyDSM

Yeah, I bought it for around $10-15 and another $5 for the rest of the system that I probably won't use. I'll dig it out and see if the motor can be seperated from the pump and take some better pictures of mine. In case you haven't found your answer, these came off the 91-95 MR2.

Tim

gtluke

do you seriously want to rely on a mitsubishi alternator even more? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Maybe we should make electric alternators /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif, electric water pumps, and electric power steering pumps.

Also for us guys still running A/C,.. an electric AC condensor..

DailyDSM

Quoting gtluke:
do you seriously want to rely on a mitsubishi alternator even more? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

At least they'll be easier to change with the PS pump out of the way......

bazeng

i'm running an electric power steering pump asyell as an electric water pump. Both work great. The power steering pump is from an opel, and the water pump is a davis craig item.

DarkDevilMMM

lol, the electric PS pump project again... I have attempted to try it out couple times already. the problem I run into is that I can never find a good used setup from another car that worth the time and money. it is either too many things to mod for the whole system to work, since some of them use position sensor or speed sensor to run the pump according to the angle you turn the wheel and the speed of your car. or the pump setup is way too expensive, e.g. Audi's, which is not worth to save the little power that the pump rob. but this will be a great project to free up some space for IC pipes and external wastegate. hope you succeed

Last edited:

Wizardawd

The late-model Mini's (Made by BMW) use electric PS pumps as well.

I just prefer road feel I guess with a manual rack. Something about a driver's connection with the road.

Wiz

i think Al was against this idea on a honda forum. Anyhoo, this is one of my next projects as it rids the power steering pump and clears room for the engine bay for say 3" ic piping.

Wizardawd

click

A different approach, motor attached directly to the rack. Simple and no fluids period.

Wiz

Last edited:

DailyDSM

Well I finally got around to setting this all up. I pieced together a whole aftermarket setup with lines, fittings, and a reservoir but in the end I decided to utilize as much of the stock setup as possible. I'm only using my own, pump, pressure side line, and pump feed from the stock reservoir. All AWS lines were removed and the rack provisions were blocked off. I'll know in the next 2 weeks or so whether or not everything clears ok with the engine in the car. I'm not too worried though sine it occupies the same space as the charcoal canister and the AWS lines which are both gone now. In the current position, I need to move the fuel filter up about half an inch which is not a problem, even with the stock lines. The only real issue at this point is how the pump will function on its side. I have seen it mounted this way but MOST of the mounts I have seen keep it vertical like the MR2s.

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

Teaser pic:

IMG_1847.jpg

2.4L, BC280s, BC valvetrain, mild port work, FP3052, etc.

Don't expect any roadtest feedback for about a month. I still have to get the engine back in the car, qutie a bit of electrical/interior work, and swapping out the rear for a 4 bolt. Depending on time I might install the Hotbits too.

Last edited:

gtluke

thats f***ing awesome. i want!

Barnes

Awesome motor + FD in the background makes me jealous!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Rausch

^ FD sans engine (fronm the looks of it...)

Is that gonna be the location for the oil feed line for the turbo? Why not get it straight from the filter housing, your braided SS seems long enough. That's what RRE Recommends. Not hating, just wondering. Looks like a sweet setup.

-Josh

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts