The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3g Eclipse AC controls in GVR4

strokin4dr

I need the wiring diagram for a 8g Galant or a 3g Eclipse AC switches. I am in the process of hooking up the ac/heat controls from one of these cars in my vr4. I have the speed control working fine and the cables for the vent selecter and hot/cold knob hooked up too. The only thing I can't figure out yet is how to wire the ac power switch.

Here is a pic of what it will look like.(This pic is of Galantfan's GGS, but he does not have it working; just hiding the stock controls)

I AM DETERMINED to get this working flawlessly but all have as far as wiring diagrams and continuity charts is a shitty chiltons repair manual. I know one of you UK guys(misterfixit?) always has a diagram for everything, how about for a '00 Eclipse? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited:

strokin4dr

I know it's Sunday and all, but there are over 40 people logged in. Someone has to be able to help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Im just using the stock blower switch, I dont need the other controls (no cold weather here in PR). I jb welded it behind the newer controls:

I removed the mounting tabs from the eclipse controls and attached it to the radio brackets with some small screws, also added like a foot of wiring to the stock blower harness to reach the lower positioned switch.

Hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

strokin4dr

I'm glad you were able to jb weld the '91 switch to '00 controls and get it to work, but I need to get the middle button (ac power) to work so that is not an option for me and I want to get everything on the Eclipse controls to work, not just part of it; But I already figured out how to get the '00 speed switch to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Please send me those diagrams and charts from the '99 Galant ASAP. If you could just scan them and host the images on this board, that would be better than nothing.

I pm'ed you the pinouts

When you finish your installation, we can make a tutorial of it...

misterfixit

whats the 8g look like? is that the ea type?

Rich

USDM are different from your electronic JDM controls /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DR1665

Quote:
I pm'ed you the pinouts

When you finish your installation, we can make a tutorial of it...

That would be a great thing to do. On par with the other quality write-ups on this site that I've come to enjoy browsing.

misterfixit

we got twiddly controls here in europe too

Is it the EA shape?

Rich

Quote:

Ryan

This is hot. I like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
Please be sure to do a how-to.

More places to put gauges... ahhhh. I really want to do this. Write it up or someone PM me the wiring diagrams and I'll go buy one of those control units and try it out in a couple of weeks.

I thought of doing a JDM Electric HVAC controls conversion and relocating them but this looks easier and just as effective. The stock knob location is a much better place for gauges as far as visibility is concerned.

-Josh

Agree with the visibility but for those of us who still have a/c, how do we turn it on or off?

s_firestone

In the close-up view I can see a "push" on the blower fan switch. There is going to be one or two extra contacts coming out of the back(might share a common 12v with the fan). It would be simple to determine which is which with a continuity tester and simply wire it into the existing compressor switch.

You would have to make sure its an actual toggle switch and not a momentary switch. If it's a momentary switch, a simple circuit for toggling would have to be built(to make it compatible with our existing AC control unit). It would be interesting to see the difference in how the newer AC control unit handles the signal(I can't see it being significantly different). What's not clear is if it even has a two-way economy/max toggle. If it's a momentary switch with econ/max then it's being treated as a three way toggle off/econ/max, likely in that order. I would love to see the wiring diagram and operation breakout myself.

A couple of things would have to stay from the existing setup. One, the recirculate/fresh air switch which looks to be electronic. You would just have to keep the manual lever. Same with the driver/passenger air lever.

^^^ Unless you wanted to get really fancy and motorize it. That would add weight and headache though.

-Josh

For the AC switch, if it is simply a momentary switch, you can use a circuit of relays to control the AC. I found this diagram at The12Volt

The circuit takes a momentary signal and creates a latched on or off output. If the AC system needs +12v to engage then that circuit would work. If it is ground triggered, you would have to swap the constant +12 v and grounds and flip the diodes around.

-Josh

strokin4dr

There is no economy position on the 3g controls, but that is definately something I can live without.

I have not had time to work on this in about a week, but so far I have got everything working except for the 3g "push" button on/off switch(still using the stock '91 button). I am planning to finish it up when I get some time next week. I will post the results when I have them.

Firestone is right, I am using the the '91 fresh air lever as well as the driver/pass. lever; Though I think I may take the driver/pass one out later and put a turbo timer or something in its place(I have never used that lever anyway). And for the guys that want to
"motorize" these controls, have fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Also, The cable that toggles between hot/cold on the 3g cotrols works opposite from how the '91 cable does, so if you hook it staight up, hot will be cold and cold will now be, you guessed it hot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I make a custom bracket to solve this problem, but it is ugly and temporary. I will make a new one when I get everything working perfectly.

-Ryan

656of1000

Quote:
Though I think I may take the driver/pass one out later and put a turbo timer or something in its place(I have never used that lever anyway).

That's exactly what I did. Here's a pic...
TT.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned