The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

CV BOOTS HELP

hi guys need some help my cv boot (outters) closest to wheels keep splitting i have had them replaced 3 times in 3 months inners are fine WTF is going on

any one have these probs or know what to do???????????????

What brand of boot are you replacing them with? Where is it tearing? It's possible that you got the wrong boots and they're not expanding as much as they should causing them to tear.

yeah its a possibility that they are not the right ones but the guys who have been modding my car
are experts in driveshafts (driveshaft master is there company name lol) so im not sure,this time it has split directly in the middle underneath the boot and runs about 3 inches either way almost half the circumference of the boot but underneath,nothing has struck the boot,as for the brand i am not sure??

CP

Get the solid boots (without the seam) from NAPA, and be sure to use the band clamps with the little nubs on them, not the smooth ones that fold back on themselves. There's a vfaq on how to replace them; it's easy but messy.

Ted Andkilde

Also, check your motor mounts, if the engine is moving around too much you could be straining them beyond they're ability to flex.

Cheers, Ted

toybreaker

iconoclast
Is it possible that too much grease is in the boot, and at high speeds centrifical force is expanding the boot out to the point it tears? If you're adding grease every time you reboot, you could concievably have gotten enough in there to do some weird stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I've had this problem before with older, more weathered boots. Once they get some little cracks in them, that's where they will flex, further cracking them, until they tear. They were coming apart pretty consistently at 100+... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

A while back, I started putting o-rings around the accordian section of the boots, and found that it stabilises the boots considerably. This cuts way down on the ballooning/stretching at ummmm... commuting speed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

When I re-boot the outers, (if they're not dirty/contaminated) I wipe out as much grease as I can with a clean rag. Then, I use a plastic hyperdermic needle filled with the grease pack from the boot kit, and force the grease down the ball tracks past the balls, and try to fill the outer shell. The shape of the housing will retain a lot of grease down where you want it. That little envelope holds more than enough grease, especially if you don't wash the joint out with solvent, so I wouldn't recomend adding any more.

The boys at raxles sell the Empi brand boots. They might also be available at a local chain store in the beck arnley brand as a re-box. They work fairly well, and I get ~ 2 years/60k from them before they require attention.

Has anybody ever bought the $40 boot kit from the dealer? I've always wanted to try them. They seem to last 10 years as originally installed. My problem is I never plan ahead, and I'm usually doing this job in a parking lot somewhere out of state. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif In fact, I've done it twice in Delta, Utah. (Love that highway 50... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif )

Last edited:

We sell those EMPI boot kits for $20 each. They are a nice kit and come with everything you need to do the install. Let me know if anyone ever needs any. We keep a few of them instock.

eviLntt

I am not sure on the Galant, but my old subaru started going through a lot of outer CV boots, and it turned out that the wheel bearings were starting to fail. Changed those out and the CV boots stopped coming apart.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned