The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Installing a 1g T/E/L Shifter into a GVR4

brute

First off, why do this mod? The 1g T/E/L shifter is about 2 inches shorter than the stock GVR4 shifter, and when coupled with the 1g T/E/L leather shift boot, it makes for a much cleaner interior.

Here's a picture of the shifter/boot assembly I purchased

f649eedd.jpg

Here's a comparison picture of the two shifters. Galant is on the left, T/E/L is on the right

43707cef.jpg

Now for the install. Start by tugging on the rubber accordion shift boot. When it's lifted up, it should look something like this:

4f45e03d.jpg

Remove the 14mm bolt, lock washer, and flat washer.

8e7dabb7.jpg

Save these pieces, as you'll be using them again. There's also a cream-colored pivot bushing. Be careful to not lose these parts! Next, look down towards the base of the shifter assembly. There's a cotter-pin where the shift linkage attaches to the bottom of the shifter. Remove this either with a cotter-pin puller or carefully with needle-nose pliers.

a9a5555d.jpg

Once the cotter-pin is removed, put it aside (you're reusing this as well). Then let the linkage slide off the post it was on.

126b7ed5.jpg

Now, with a little finesse and a lot of maneuvering, you should be able to get the shifter off the mounting bolt and out of the hole.

f71042f4.jpg

Now do the exact opposite of the previous step, and put the 1g shifter in and on the mounting bolt. Pick the linkage up, and place it on its post.

dd31f2c5.jpg

Now, reinstall the cotter-pin and bend the two legs at about a 90-degree angle so it does not fall out.

aaa2e7db.jpg

Also make sure the passenger side bushing is inserted correctly into its hole.

5b572485.jpg

Get the bushing you took out in the first place from the driver side. Place it on the threaded area of the mounting bolt.

5248dc06.jpg

Then gently slide it in to the area it's supposed to occupy.

7930afc9.jpg

Now, put the flat washer, lock washer, and 14mm bolt back in, and tighten it down. It should begin to look like a shifter again.

183d1e1e.jpg

Now for the hard part. The plastic ring that goes around the base of the boot must be removed. It has 4 philips-headed screws that thread in vertically. They are in the locations marked.

51b2aecd.jpg

Here is a mirror-view of one of the screws

f9e6fa72.jpg

I used this to loosen the screws.

e328f9d2.jpg

Don't get discouraged if you have trouble. This part took me the longest, but is definitely worth it in the end. Once the ring is out, stretch the 1g leather boot around it. The front two should go through the side slits, but the back two (circled in yellow) will need holes punched for the screws.

0e9599fe.jpg

I just used a small screwdriver to pierce the holes.

ed727f99.jpg

Now, get the screws and reinstall the plastic ring. I found it easier to do the rear two first, but it's up to you. Make sure the two rear screws are all the way through both holes in the leather or the threads won't stick through enough to start threading into the plastic. Here's a picture of the rear two installed.

d4daf4ad.jpg

Once you get the rear two in, the front two should be pretty easy. Go ahead and tighten all the screws so you don't have to do this again. Here it is with all 4 screwed in and tightened.

ac8c447d.jpg

Now, find yourself a shift knob, install it, and you'll be on your way! Enjoy the height being a couple inches shorter and the throw being quite a bit shorter.

f26ebd50.jpg

The 1G TEL Shifter is actually about exactly 3" Shorter then the stock GVR4 Shifter.

91vr4

I just did this yesterday and IMO its easier to remove the whole center console.. Although when I am able to see something, that makes things way easier for me.. Hope this helps..

Just a NOTE

this is not a direct bolt on for a 1990 ggsx. the base itself is different and the 1g will hit the bottom of the base.

IncorpoRatedX

1990 mitsubishi's used a different transmission, shifter assembly and cables. This includes all the 1990 Galants, Talons, Eclipse and Lasers, this swap applies to the 91 and 92 VR4

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts