The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How To: Foglights Can Be Switched On With Parking Lights

atc250r

Staff member
I wanted to post this in the Tech forum before it gets moved to the How-To section so I can get feedback and/or questions. Plus, a lot of people may not check the How-To forum regularly.

How-To: Foglights Can Be Switched On Whenever Parking Lights Are On

After doing a lot of searching both here and on VFAQ and not finding an answer that I deemed acceptable I decided to make my own "How-To" on this topic. The mission here was to make TurboRich able to rock the JDM projector fogs (and eventually the daytime lights in his soon to come JDM lights) anytime the parking lights are on rather than only when the low beams are on. This will work EXACTLY the same for the USDM fogs since I just hooked his JDM projectors to the USDM fog light wires behind the bumper. Also understand that the fogs can be switched on via their standard switch anytime the parking lights are on. Even if the high beams are on, the fogs will still be on, that is definitely not legal but please don't bother telling all of us about how we are breaking all sorts of laws and do these mods at your own risk.

1. Remove fog light switch from dash (it just pops out) and locate the black wire and the red/white wire on the blue connector.

2. You will strip a little off of each of them and tie them together either by soldering or wrapping a piece of wire around the two of them and then tape it up appropriately. If you only want to be able to make the fogs work with both the high and low beams then you are done. If you want to make them work with the parking lights then continue to step 3.

At this point you can have fogs with both high and low beams as show below:

3. Locate the under hood fuse/relay box on the RF fender, notice the 10A fuse labeled "TAIL" and the 15A fuse right next to it labeled "FOG LAMP". You will be taking the wire that feeds power to the fog lamp fuse, cutting it, and splicing the fuse side of it into the wire that feeds power to the tail light fuse. Now you can remove the lid and the 3-10mm bolts that hold it to the car, flip the fuse box over and locate the wires I'm holding in the pic:

4. Cut the red/blue wire a couple of inches from the fuse box, leaving yourself enough wire to work with. You can tape up the harness end as you will not need that anymore. Strip the end of the fuse box side of the red/blue wire, strip a section of the red/white wire so that the red/blue wire can be wrapped around it.

5. I HIGHLY recommend you solder the connection as it carries a fair bit of current and it is outside in the elements. It should look like this when you're done.

6. Tape up the wires thoroughly and remember to tape the loose end of the red/blue wire. The top wires you see taped in the pic are where you just soldered the two together. The bottom tape was just a convenient place for me to tape the red/blue wire to another red/blue wire so it didn't fall down and rub the wheel well.

7. Reattach the fuse box to the fender and enjoy your 20 minutes of hard work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif for years to come /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

If you look at the wiring diagram you are simply getting power for the fog light relay from the tail light relay rather than the head light relay so there should be any issue with the load placed on the tail light relay since it is the same type as the headlight one. However, I would NOT recommend stepping up to higher wattage bulbs in the fog lights with this mod but I wouldn't up the wattage in those small housings anyway since it may melt the fog light housings due to the extra heat. On the switch end you are grounding the red/white wire all the time when it used to only get a ground when the headlights were on. Again, enjoy and do this mod at your own risk!!

John

Last edited:

CP

Nice work John! I'll be doing much the same shortly. I've been using my orange blinker fogs until they clean up our local roads, as I'd rather not sandblast the projector fogs if I don't have to. I wonder what you'd need to tap to use the fogs with NO parking lights on. I may just wire them separately, as you would with an aftermarket set of lights. This way the system would be independant of the stock headlighting.

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
I wonder what you'd need to tap to use the fogs with NO parking lights on.

Simple. Take the red/blue wire inside the underhood fusebox and hook it to either a constant 12V source or one that is only "hot" in the accessory position. It'd be a lot cleaner looking than some extra switch somewhere.

John

CP

Yeah, but with two sets of fogs (the projectors AND the other square ones next to those) I'm going to need two switches: the factory switch and one other for the second set of lights.

you can jump the wire in the engine bay. thats what i did. only thing is the fogs stay on when the ignition is on power.

Tee

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts