The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Short in break circuit

OK, the fuse blows every time I hit the break pedal. I checked the relay in the fuse box in the engine bay, I replaced the switch on the pedal, and with every light unplugged it still blows the fuse when you hit the pedal. I ripped the back and front seat out and lifted the carpet and there are no visual signs of damage. So I was wondering if anyone had the same problem, or had any hints where I can look because the next step is ripping all the plastic covers off the harness and look for damage. Any input would be appreciated. Thx Bryan

Probably a short in the rear brake light wiring. I'd pull apart the wiring harness connector back there and see if it blows a fuse. If yes, then the short is toward the brake switch, if no, then short is in one of the rear brake light wires or bulbs. Check to see if bulbs are OK.

Do you still have the ABS? I had the same problem and it was the ABS pressure switch which had failed internally and shorted to ground every time the pressure was enough to operate the switch. Check by unplugging it - there's a two pin connector just above the ABS unit. If it is the problem, rather than replacing it which would have meant pulling the whole ABS unit to get to it, I rewired it with a relay so it intentionally switches to ground and drives the relay coil. If it helps I'd be glad to draw you a diagram.
Tony

I disconnected the ABS pressure sensor and it doesn't blow the fuse now. So I pulled the ABS fuse link, only till I fix it. Thanks for the tip, and if you want to send me that wiring diagram my email is [email protected] again thank you

Pulling the ABS fuse won't stop it because the switch is directly connected to the brake wiring, not through the fuse. I'll try to draw and scan a diagram for you soon of my mod which allows the old switch to still function, for the cost of a standard relay, a diode and some time to do it.
Tony

I disconnected the switch and the fuse link just till I can rewire it or fix it. So when you get a chance to make the diagram it will help. Thx, Bryan

Yeah, mate, will try to hook up my scanner tomorrow and scan the drawing (I've already drawn it). I'm on holiday from tonight for the Christmas /new year period. Just leave that 2 pin plug out in the meantime. You don't need to have the ABS fuse out.
Tony

Got your email, and i can read it just fine. thank you again and i'm gonna wire it up this weekend.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned