The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Custom IC piping, any one pulled it off?

I was looking into hard piping my car, but the kits are too expensive, even the universal kits. So I have been looking at local companies that sell aluminum piping, not auto companies, because they will charge an arm and a leg too. So, local fab shops for pipe, where do I look for cheap silicon hoses? Has anyone ever done this themselves? If so, where did you look for parts? Any help will... help...

ebay, ebay, and ebay still think "performance car" and jack the price to fit. the idea with 'custom' is to grab parts at cost, from companies that have no interest in the whole performance car bit. its called, cheap.

dime2nr

i did my pipes for about a $110 of course i did all the welding but thats 2.5in stainless piping and an ebay fmic total under $300 everythimg came from ebay on the cheap

Last edited:

I also got my pipes from JC whitney for cheap and did my set up for less than $500 with FMIC, couplers, tbolt clamps and pipes.

I have all aluminum pipes that came from certified muffler.
You can see some pics off it in the link to my car in my signature.

sleepyvr4

I went ebay for fmic and mild steel mandrel bends, forced performance for couplers, hunters truck sales for t-bolt clamps, dave brode for turbo outlet, hks tb elbow from overboost.com, and I needed 2 welds.

here's pics of my old setup:

clicky

14u2nV

You want cheaper parts, look for industrial or construction piping, silicon, etc. As soon as you put the word Intercooler or I/C, the price automatically jumps, cuz they know they can get it. Companies that use these parts for other situations will usually sell off the scrap just to make a buck, they aren't out to snag custom setup builders, just anyone interested in the "junk".

VR4coop

Quote:
anyone have pics of the "custom" setup??

Here are pics of my previous setup.

New setup pics will be up soon enough!!!

Armitage

I did my whole I/C piping (2" mandrel to and 2.5" from I/C) for about 20$ in parts ;P Granted it has a lot of couplers, but it's held together real nice for over a year now no problems. A lot of turbo saabs and volvos have really nice big aluminum pipes with silicone couplers and all sorts of funky reducers/angle couplers u can get for next to nothing if you've got some good junkyards around.

number3

I have had a few different home made setups in my car.

See them here...

The First page under "more pictures here" link shows the really old setup we made with exhaust piping, a tig welder, jb weld and some spray paint.

dime2nr, I noticed no rolled edges on the pipe ends. Do you have any trouble with them blowing off?

atc250r

Staff member
Apparently you can do your own welding. What made you decide to go long route rather than change the end tanks and go short route with the piping?

John

dime2nr

no real reason for not going short route at the moment but if i decide to change its not like its a big headache just some time

Quote:
You want cheaper parts, look for industrial or construction piping, silicon, etc.

Examples of cheap places to get silicone reducers, please. 3" reduced to 2.25" isn't cheap.

For welding, at the worst, just get a cheapie Mig-100 from Harbor Freight for $120 if you don't mind ugly welds. Cover them in JB Weld and there you are. Any monkey can stick two pieces of steel together. It'll pay for itself in one or two uses. I think I already mentioned it will look ugly (but works).

Pipe and bends aren't hard to come by. Just make sure it's aluminized so it doesn't rust as easily.

I get t-bolt clamps from Napa for $3. You can crush pipe with those. Good enough for me.

Alot of people may not know this yet, but if you have a NAPA AUTOPARTS around your area, they have some hosing and clamps... cheap...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts