The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1990 Oil Filter Housing Question?

atc250r

Staff member
I need to take my leaky, crappy stock set up off and I have a question that was unanswered by the "How-To" on this. Here is a quote from the "How-To":

Quote:
The required fittings for the oil filter adapter are as follows, 2 each of -8AN flare to 16mm x 1.5 metric adapters (i'm almost positive its 16 not 18, someone chime in here).

Is anyone SURE on what size they are and maybe even have the part number for them? I want to use the stock 1990 cooler since I already have one and I'm guessing I can just get four of those adapters and run them on both ends. Can someone who's done this (even with an aftermarket cooler) give me some info?

Thanks.

John

jepherz

Staff member
Here are the fittings from Mach V for the oil cooler end. I think this is what you mean...
http://www.machv.com/exoilcoolfil.html

Anybody know how possible it is to adapt some hose to a banjo fitting? If so, you could just use the factory bolts and just adapt them to your own lines. This may cause leaking though, if it's even possible.

atc250r

Staff member
You can adapt the stock banjo fittings if you have a hydraulic hose place near you. I may just go that route since I know of 2 people locally that have the hoses sitting around that I can pirate the hose ends from. If anyone has any ideas on the sizes please let me know. I've found these from Earl's but they don't have an O-ring or washer to seal it so seepage may be a problem:

9919EFKERL #8AN to 18MM x 1.5
9919EFJERL #8AN to 16MM x 1.5
9919DFJERL #6AN to 16MM x 1.5

If it's 16mm I'll go with #6 since I think #8 will do nothing except cost more money. There is a local "circle track" warehouse that has three aisles of Earl's so I'll try to get there and test fit to my cooler/housing. I'll post the results later this week.

John

They are 16MM x 1.5. I was only able to find them through Russel (Summit part# RUS-670530) and Earls. I used #6AN on mine with a Setrab oil cooler and it works great. I would have used #8AN but I had a plethora of #6AN fittings laying around.

Also, the metric adapters that I have do not have an o-ring or washer on the oil filter housing and I have not experienced any sort of oil leak what-so-ever. Hope this helps.

atc250r

Staff member
AWESOME! That was exactly the info I needed. I'll be getting that stuff this week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

John

jepherz

Staff member
John,
You should get pics and put a list of stuff you needed to put it all on for us!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Use one of the stock rubber insert washers between the adapter fitting and the housing. that is what I will be using. The stock banjo fittings use two, one on each side.
I used the 9919EFJ which is the -8. Two for the housing, two for the stock cooler.

Quote:
John,
You should get pics and put a list of stuff you needed to put it all on for us!

pics/more info

You will need

~10 ft of AN 8 hose depending on location (10ft will mount behind rad fan) anywhere
4 AN 8 fittings anywhere
1 Oil Cooler - i got it here, but anywhere will do baker precision
1 oil filter housing - ebay or stealer or parts for sale here
2 metric > an adapters + WASHERS!!!!! MachV

Pick your location before ordering the stuff, at $20 a pop you want to make sure you order the right fittings (straight, 90 or 45 degree)

atc250r

Staff member
Thanks Logick but I'm gonna do it the way Iceman has his set up since I already have a stock cooler. I was thinking the same thing as you with the washers Ice and I'll be using #6 AN hose. I think that will be more than adequate, especially compared to the fact that I was going to just get a NT housing and eliminate it all together. I'll post a list of EXACT part numbers, prices, and pics of what I do.

John

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Not that different in concept from Mark, we're just using the stock cooler, so more adapters are needed. I hope those washers work, since I have all the parts, but haven't installed it yet! I will be using -8 size, but I am going to try some of the pushlock fittings and hose instead, keeping the braided on my race car.

Have to mod my oil filter bracket for the pressure relief flow as in the other thread since I am pulling the balance shafts out right now during the rebuild.

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
Have to mod my oil filter bracket for the pressure relief flow as in the other thread since I am pulling the balance shafts out right now during the rebuild.

HAHAHA!! Me too, that thread got me thinking of my stupid high oil pressure so I figured I'd fix that and my ticking time bomb of an oil filter housing at the same time. Here are the part numbers I just bought to do the job with a stock 1990 housing and a stock 1990 cooler:

4 - 9919DFJERL #6AN to 16MM x 1.5
4 - 809106ERL #6AN 90* fitting
1 - 306006ERL or 406006ERL #6AN Hose Stainless 6 feet

The total came to about $125 for all of it which means that if you don't already have a 1990 cooler it would be smarter to just buy THIS . I'll keep you all updated on how it goes, it should be in within the next few days since I need to fix this oil leak ASAP.

John

jepherz

Staff member
Did you throw this setup on yet, John? If so, can you get any pics of the lines to housing and lines to cooler fittings with it all put together?

bazeng

dont forget to port the valve relief port!

i was getting 100+psi cold start and WOT before the porting
now i get 60 - 70psi cold start!

works like a chime!..

atc250r

Staff member
I'll try to get some pics of the housing side. If you want to see the cooler end search for FMIC with my username, there are bound to be some of the oil cooler when I took pics of my new FMIC last month.

John

CP

Dumb question, but what is done with the old coolant lines/connections for the stock filter housing? Do they get looped up near the thermostat with a hose or something?

I flipped through my Summit and RPW catelogs last night and started coming up with a list of parts. What's a good size cooler (ie how many rows, dimensions)?

Polish

Yes the coolant lines get looped.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts