The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo Springs broken

If you are running Evo springs, be sure to get the Evo rubber pads for the rear top mounts. The springs do not fit into the stock Galant top mounts, and will destroy the stock rubber pads. That's part number 5 in the picture below.

I've been running the Evo shocks and springs, with the stock GVR4 rear top mounts. When I put them on, it was obvious that the rear Evo springs are a little smaller diameter than the GVR4 springs, and doesn't quite fit into the rubber pad in the top mount.

After beating on it for a little while, the rubber pad has broken, and the spring has burst through and is resting on the metal part of the top mount. The spring is also no longer centered, and is pushed up against the shock body.

EDIT: Some people have still had spring unseating problems with the Evo rubber pad in Galant top mounts after extended beating on the car..
Using full Evo top mounts, metal and rubber, won't have this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

I noticed the same thing.I haven't been able to drive my car to verify your claims /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
but thanx for the heads up

dime2nr

thanks i started on mine today thanks for the heads up
im guessing they are a dealer part do you know the cost?

Last edited:

Yao

It's usless, The spring will eventually move around because Part number 4 on the galant is bigger then the Evo. The spring will bind and move quite a bit. The real fix is to use all galant part, but cut the top coil of the EVO spring off, then they will match.

Luke

I used evo rubber pads, but galant top mount on my evo suspension conversion.
Still does not work, and the evo springs eventually came off the evo rubber pads.

this is because the galant top mount is bigger than the evo rubber pads, thus the rubber pads are not secured in the center.

Hertz

Staff member
So would you say that this is a definitive reason to use fully adapted Evo springs and struts?

Luke

I am already using all evo parts for my rear evo suspension conversion: evo struts, evo springs, evo rubber pads. All except for the evo top mount.
I used the galant top mount because the galant top mount has the right shape to fit in the rear shock towers.

I am still unsure how I would fix this issue.

curtis

Use all evo parts!

The ones on my car and the ones I fabbed up for Hill uses the complete evo rear assembly with just the lower mount from the Galant/dsm welded on the bottom. Direct bolt in/no mods what so ever.

The rear sits 1 7/8 inches off the top of the tire with a 215/45/17.

Luke

curtis: Any issue with using the evo metal top plate ( top mount ) on the galant ? I know the shape does not fit the shock tower of our car perfectly..

How many miles have you had it on the car ?

I didn't have issue with my setup initially either.. but after about 20K miles and 3 track days, it came unseated off the rubber pads.

I run Evo top mounts, and Evo rubber spring seats. It fits fine and I haven't had any unseating problems. The only reason I originally used Galant top mounts was because the Evo suspension I bought didn't come with top mounts.

curtis

I've only put less than 1000 miles on it but the install in the rear was a direct bolt on. I wish the fronts could run the factory evo tops because they were in perfect shape but I didn't want to start drilling holes in the car's strut towers when I had a set that fit.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts