The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wont start Send help!

JRuby

Good Afternoon all,

Last week I went to work on the vr4. I replaced the spark plug wires and put a new o2 sensor on. At this point the starter was on its last leg, it would not engage properly. So I ordered a new one ($66 on rock auto) and got around to it today. After replacing the starter the car will crank now, but will not start. I can see I am getting fuel pressure, not 100% sure on spark. I believe I have the firing order wrong on the wires. Can someone help me out with this. I will include photos of how the ignition coil is set. Sometimes when I crank the car it will read the RPM really high, other times normal ?

CutlassJim

Both pictures show the plug wires not connected. Might want to start with that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One coil does 1-4 the other coil does 2-3. In the OEM location the order is 4-1-2-3 left to right. Your coil looks flipped so try 3-2-1-4. If that doesn't work try the OEM order.

JRuby

Plugging them in would definitely be a start in the right direction! I tried the OEM orientation and that did not work. Will try that order and see if that nets me results. I ordered a spark checker just to be sure. I think this is a 2g ignition coil after reading some posts about the differences.

Thanks!

Imback

You can just put a screwdriver into the spark plug boot and see if it sparks on the valve cover to check for spark. Even if it was in the wrong order it would backfire. I also once bought a non running 1g with similar issues and it ended up being a loose connection at the cas. Pull the plugs after attempting to start and check to see if there wet.

CutlassJim

Quoting JRuby:
Plugging them in would definitely be a start in the right direction! I tried the OEM orientation and that did not work. Will try that order and see if that nets me results. I ordered a spark checker just to be sure. I think this is a 2g ignition coil after reading some posts about the differences.

Thanks!

2G coil should be the exact same minus bracket? Since it's waste spark you could technically swap the paired wires and it wouldn't matter. 1-4, 2-3 or 4-1,3-2.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts