The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Active Toe Eliminator Kit Extra Toe Out

HadesOmega

My GVR4 got hit in the driverside rear a couple months ago. The wheel got pushed into the body so I replaced the crossmember. I could tell I have too much toe in after I put everything back and got a wheel alignment done the other day confirms there is about 0.5" of excessive toe in. The alignment shop suggested I replace the trailing arm. When I put all the arms back in I didn't notice any damage to any of them that I could visibly see. I was wonder if the active toe eliminator kits like the one from Jays Racing would be able to fix this excessive toe in problem? Would it give me enough toe out get my car back into spec? I can see you can adjust the end in and out in addition to the eccentric bolt.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Are you still running the 4WS rack in the back?

Wondering how much toe adjustment you could get by adjusting the rear rack tie rod. Maybe not the best idea since the would be bushing compression likely.

HadesOmega

I don't have the 4WS anymore, the previous owner took it out. This car is a franken DSM, I'm sure it has an eclipse crossmember because I just installed it and trailing arms from an Eclipse or 3000GT, A 4 Bolt LSD, and ingalls camber control arm.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
So the new crossmember bolted up ok? fit over those large body studs with no issues?

raptorWagon

Which trailing arms? Dsm/gvr4 and 3000gt stuff are very different. The 3kgt arms will widen the rear tracking.

HadesOmega

Sorry I never replied. I wound up ordered the ATE kit from Volks Metalcraft and waiting for them to arrive. I inspected the trailing arm again and I can't see an obvious damage. Paul at VMC said I can get 3-4x more adjustment with the ATE kit so I'm hoping that will be enough.

Quoting iceman69510:
So the new crossmember bolted up ok? fit over those large body studs with no issues?

Yes the crossmember bolted up fine. It was pretty rusty and I cleaned it up a whole lot but I didn't have any problem lining it up and installing it.

HadesOmega

Quoting raptorWagon:
Which trailing arms? Dsm/gvr4 and 3000gt stuff are very different. The 3kgt arms will widen the rear tracking.

I think my car does indeed have 3000GT trailing arms because the previous owner mentioned that the rear track of the car is wider so he actually had the rear EVO8 wheels machined or shaved 5mm to give it more positive offset so it will line up with the front. I also notice the adjustments for the trailing arms are at the extreme outward adjustments on both sides. So I think this might have something to do with the 3000GT arms.

So what I think I will do is when I install the active toe eliminator kit I will adjust the heim joints as far out as I can for both. That way the eccentric adjuster bolt will be in the middle of where the adjustment range is. Right now it is all the way out and the adjustment marks on the bolts don't even line up with the mark on the crossmember. o_O'

HadesOmega

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. So I wound up getting the Volksmetalcraft Active Toe Eliminator Kit. Installed them myself and I was able to bring the car back into alignment. I adjusted one side too much in the wrong direction. But this was not the "best" way to fix this, I believe to the best way to fix this alignment problem was to have the frame pulled back into alignment. It pretty obvious the frame is tweaked on my car. However it wasn't so bad that the ATE kit didn't fix it. The bad side the wheel had to be pushed back pretty far as a result the wheel is closer to the rear of the wheel well and there is a big gap in the front. I've been driving the car for a few months and the car drives fine. It doesn't look pretty but I saved the car from evil clutches of the insurance company. These are a real bitch to adjust also. You literally have to take the whole suspension apart.

I made a VLOG series about this you'll get to see my crappy welding too:

click

click

click

click

click

click

click

click

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts