The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trunk battery circuit breaker

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of tidying up all the shortcuts that the previous owner has made and I noticed there's no circuit breaker or fuse for the battery relocated to the trunk, what sort of fuse rating is everyone using?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have a similar one. Not sure the amperage, either 120 or 200.

CutlassJim

I don't recommend a 100 amp unit.

A lot of people incorrectly think that since the alternator is 90 amp that 100 amp breaker is perfect but that's not how it works.

We've built a starter tester for Borg Warner at my work and under load a starter can draw 800 amps. Hence why batteries have Cold Cranking Amp ratings that high. You get by with 6-8 gauge wire because it's usually such a short amount of time cranking and the wire doesn't have enough time to heat up. But with the battery in the trunk you now have 18 feet of battery cable instead of 3. More resistance = more heat = less power at the unit doing the work (starter).

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Agreed. Mine is probably 200. I do know that once on a very cold winter morning with the car sitting outside I did pop the breaker when trying to start the car.

mitsuturbo

I'm running a 200 or 250A breaker. Basically it's just there for if there's a major short circuit in the actual positive cable. Everything else is fused on its own elsewhere.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts