The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Headlight intake air dam... Who's done it?

cupajoe

Looking to find a way to lower my intake temps at the track, couple option.

1. Turbo intake through the fender well cover and sit low and in the fender well. Only issue is my lower coolant line is in the way and would have to find a way to reroute.

2. Cut a hole where the battery use to be and add a 90* elbow from the current location and into the wheel well.

3. Add an air damn into the high beam location.

Has anyone done these on our cars? I seen it done on DSM's but not seen one one ours.

Let me know if you have any good idea's or if you've done this. Cheers.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I think there are some threads on here where some have built cold air boxes in the original battery location.

cupajoe

Oh yup! I've a couple of those and forgot to add that to my list, just think it clutters the bay a bit more.

turbowop

I used to just remove the right headlight. Four bolts and it's out, direct line of airflow to the filter/intake. Reinstall after racing. It's not the most elegant way of doing it but it works and keeps all four lights working for street driving.

turbowop

In fact...here's an old pic at the track:

944a271874ba0ad.jpg

cupajoe

I appreciate the pic!

Honestly this is the route I'm leaning towards now as I daily my Beater.

Unless I could find a spare headlight and see if I could cleanly cut out the high beam glass, but who knows.

diambo4life

Quoting cupajoe:
Looking to find a way to lower my intake temps at the track, couple option.

2. Cut a hole where the battery use to be and add a 90* elbow from the current location and into the wheel well.

ME.

Last edited:

cupajoe

Any pictures? 4.5" hole saw, 90 elbow, and a coupler. Did you support the filter underneath from falling/moving around?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned