The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What kind of Coilovers?

GVR4508

I have just gotten a 92 Galant VR4 #508/1000 and as of now she has snow tires and some other wheels, i am replacing them with the Volk TE37 White Wheels and was wondering what Coils to get for a good fitment, and what spacers i should get because when putting the wheels on, they barely nick the brake calipers because i replaced the original with the 3000gt vr4 brakes. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
What size wheel, including offset, do you have?

GVR4508

Thank you for your response! So i bought these and imported them from Japan and heres the snippet of the size and offset.

EMX5636

My FEAL coilovers feel great. I prefer them over the K-Sport and springs/shocks I used to have. As far as spacers, run as thin as you can, and get hub-centric if possible. JMFabrications still makes them in a few thicknesses.

GVR4508

The only thing for the spacers on JMfabrications is i see they're only selling 5x114.3 when i need a 4 x 114.3. I'm thinking i should get between 3 - 5mm spacers, and i was thinking BC coilovers cause i havent heard anything bad about BC. I'll look into FEAL though for sure.

moduleunknown

I hate my BC's. Cheap, no travel, stiff, bouncy trash. I have the off the shelf 8k/6k (F/R) setup. I've wasted more time than I'd like to admit trying to get them to work well (acceptable) on the street. I expected as much when I bought them, but with the limited GVR4 specific options and somewhat decent reviews from others, I gave the BC's a try. Junk (IMO)...

I have no experience with, but have heard good things about Feal - especially the customer support.

We can also use CT9A struts/springs or coilover options. This adapter kit makes it easier than it used to be. click

GVR4508

Thats a shame, i was really planning on getting the BC's! haha i will definitely keep my options open. My plan right now is to get the RS kit, but i also want to get a replica AMG wing. But also trying to get new coils with some spacers since my wheels nick my calipers.

gvr4ever

Quoting moduleunknown:
I hate my BC's. Cheap, no travel, stiff, bouncy trash. I have the off the shelf 8k/6k (F/R) setup. I've wasted more time than I'd like to admit trying to get them to work well (acceptable) on the street. I expected as much when I bought them, but with the limited GVR4 specific options and somewhat decent reviews from others, I gave the BC's a try. Junk (IMO)...

I have no experience with, but have heard good things about Feal - especially the customer support.

We can also use CT9A struts/springs or coilover options. This adapter kit makes it easier than it used to be. click

Eeek, glad I didn't get them. I ended up getting H&R springs and AGXs and I like the setup. I wonder how much the swift springs would make.. Sounds like no matter what coil overs you go with, the swift spring upgrade sounds like it's worth it.

If you don't actually need to adjust the height for racing purposes, a H&R spring AGX combo is a solid street setup. Completely modernizes the ride.

GVR4508

Hmmm, i was thinking about just going with FEAL with the swift spring upgrade, itll run my pockets of 1600, thats for sure! haha

turbofonz

I bought Feal 441's with Swift springs after reading how everyone says how good they ride, but honestly my Talon on Ksports rides MUCH better. Both cars at similar ride heights. My old galant on Ksports also was better. I almost regret them when other Taiwanese coils ride better for...600 less

galantgti

Hijacking this post a bit but what coilovers offer still a lot of comfort for daily driving ? I don't mind if I have to adjust them in between but I don't want such super bumpy rides and stiffness while cruising with the family. On track it's super but I use it for daily driving and away time with the family as well

idreamidrive

I personally would go with gr2's for street and then just swap something in for track use, but I am getting older and wiser. I hate my FEALs for dd duty

CutlassJim

I'm usually %100 percent against coilovers for a street car unless you are going high end (K&W, Ohlins, Nitron) and always go with uprated struts and lowering springs for my daily's.

Buuuuut, I have an 01 Turbo Beetle that I got for free and it had 4 blown shocks and a broken rear spring. To get stock stuff was going to be around $500 and this was a mega budget build so I picked up a set of Ebay cheapy cheap cheap $187 coilovers and have to admit they are absolutely perfect for the street. They are the best balance between handling and feedback and comfort of almost all my cars. They are non adjustable and I have the rears set to max height and the fronts are about in the middle to have a slight forward rake. Still holding up great after 2 years as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Almost everything else I've ever been in with sub $1000 coilovers though has felt like absolute trash on the street. So bad I wouldn't even want them in a weekend car. I do see a very common trend of people thinking they need race level parts on their street cars though so that could be it.

I went from Evo struts with Tiens to Evo K&W V3s on my Galant and it actually handles and rides better.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Quoting idreamidrive:
I personally would go with gr2's for street and then just swap something in for track use, but I am getting older and wiser. I hate my FEALs for dd duty

With what springs? I found gr2's with the stock springs too floaty and soft.

H&R springs with AGXs are more comfortable in the Galant than TEIN H springs .08" drop and AGXs in my Celica. Part of me wishes I had gone with H&R springs on the Celica, but the TEIN H had the least aggressive drop and I didn't want to go too low. The ride height / wheel gap looks about the same as a stock Toyotburu. Perfect for the mid west with snow and pot holes. Galant setup feels higher end for sure. Firm, but zero bump shock or anything harsh.

Sburke

The downside is there really isn’t a high end option for these cars, that’s off the shelf. I was just in this situation, and tried getting Bilstein and ohlins to make me something as they are somewhat local. Neither wanted to. Also reached out to JRZ, who said they could and ghosted.

Left me stuck with the Taiwanese three. Feal,BC,Ksport. I went with BC, because I found a shop who can custom valve them with Bilstein guts.

My stock BC setup is not without flaws. You have to run them incredibly soft, and the springs are not matched well to the stock valving. I would assume the valving is the same for the majority of the coilovers they make. I don’t have high expectations of them lasting over a year of street use.

I’ve read time after time, the AGX and H&R combo is trash. That those springs will blow out the AGX quickly. Who knows if that’s true, but it’s probably a better ride over the BC.

I’ll either go through with having mine custom valved at some point, or fully commit to someone redoing some of the suspension geo and fitting a custom coilover setup in the car.

Hate to break it to ya, but there just isn’t going to be a smooth ride on coilovers with what’s available for these cars.

galantgti

Damn it. I'm really ready to spend 2500/3000 usd if I have to but I do not want a coilover set which isn't capable of offering a smooth daily driver ride.

It's even not a problem if I have to dial them in everytime I go to the track but it just has to offer some comfort daily driving.

But I'm guessing I won't get a better chance than the obvious agx/h&r combo then ?

Feal k sport en bc are way too bumpy and stiff for daily driving from what I've read overall...

idreamidrive

Quoting gvr4ever:
Quoting idreamidrive:

With what springs? I found gr2's with the stock springs too floaty and soft.

Floaty and soft sounds perfect for street use. You could even disconnect the front sway bar to get even more floaty for weight transfer. Oooh this sounds perfect! I would go back to this, if I didn't use my car to get to the local mtb areas and bombing down the gravel is fun in the FEALs.

CutlassJim

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting Sburke:</font><hr />
Hate to break it to ya, but there just isn’t going to be a smooth ride on coilovers with what’s available for these cars.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Ummmmm............

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting CutlassJim:</font><hr />
I went from Evo struts with Tiens to Evo K&amp;W V3s on my Galant and it actually handles and rides better.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

click

click

galantgti

^So this evo 8/9 ones do offer a smooth and comfortable ride ?

CutlassJim

I wouldn't say 1980s Cadillac level but I would drive on them every day easy. And I'm also getting old and hate a harsh ride so that's saying a lot. Heck I even ADDED sound deadening to the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts