The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ecm link ?s

gs300cky

So I’m looking to switch from the key chip to the ecm link.
But I have some questions as it’s the first dsm amd obd1 Ive messed up compared to Subaru’s and Lexus.
Anyway where is a good site to go find one? I was looking at ecm tuning.com
But I want to make sure I select the right and correct information before purchasing.
I have the maf adapter to the 2g maf amd evo 8 560 injectors
With a larger Intercooler plus the exhaust.
Here is what I selected on my Ecm link but feel like I may be off or I should add things that could be better for later on when I want to add more power.

gs300cky

Sorry it grabbed the wrong picture

yubh8tn

That's the right website and those selections look correct to me besides the maf. You said you have the 2G MAF but have the 3G selected. This is a good website to glance over (http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/start), and make sure your ECU is eprom before you send it in, I don't think they can do non-eprom conversions right now.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

You have a keydiver chip already installed so the ECU is a eprom and it is already socketed. So those are two big pluses. I would email ecmtuning, tell them everything you have done to the car, send them your ecu to examine it and make sure the ECU is 100%, then have them install and base tune the chip so you can install it, fire the car up and take it to a real tuner who can finalize everything for you.

transparentdsm

You also need to replace your ecu case for a proper Galant case. The case needs to be properly mounted in it's spot and it also need to be properly grounded.

Edit: is there a specific reason your switching over to dsmlink? You upgrading parts? Looking for more power or are you trying to resolve an issue you think is being caused by the ECU?

Last edited:

gs300cky

I do have a few spare covers and ecu’s so I will swap that out, thank you for looking out though.
And the only real reason I wanted to swap over to the link was to make sure it’s tuned properly and not running to rich/ lean or any problems with timing etc. I was really hoping to have full visibility of all the different parameters, if that makes sense

transparentdsm

So your basically looking to monitor things.

Might I suggest just getting a wideband to monitor a/f ratios and the chip is set up for the boost gauge to read knock. And if you really want more monitoring look for an old school mmcd palm pilot set up for datalogging. They can still be found and can be left attached and monitoring at all times very easily.

And as long as the ECU is in good condition, all the maintenance is up to date and you don't have any vacuum leaks the car will be running properly. With a boost, oil pressure, wideband and the knock sum gauge you should be good, as once you set up dsmlink you don't usually have a computer with you and run it all the time.

gs300cky

I will have to look into that idea, I always read about people using the palm pilots.
Thank you for the guidance, I’m still trying to learn about these cars and how to clean and modify them correctly.
I finally got a new wire harness installed and she’s running but like I mentioned I’m nervous to take her out especially with no gauge cluster working and seatbelts etc.

slugsgomoo

Quoting transparentdsm:
You also need to replace your ecu case for a proper Galant case. The case needs to be properly mounted in it's spot and it also need to be properly grounded.

Edit: is there a specific reason your switching over to dsmlink? You upgrading parts? Looking for more power or are you trying to resolve an issue you think is being caused by the ECU?

to be fair (regarding the mounting) the grounding strap can be bolted in with the DSM case dangling. I put at least 500 miles at a pretty stout power level with it dangling in the footwell, and yelling at passengers not to kick it). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif That said, when I finally got the galant case, it was so much nicer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

transparentdsm

I've noticed slight differences during cold starts and it seems to idle a bit smoother, at least in my situation, with the ECU mounted and grounded. When it was dangling on the floor it would take a few more cranks to turn on and it would hunt a bit, once I bolted it in place things changed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts