The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A simple (I hope) PCV/catch can question

mk2davis

I know this subject has been covered and covered and covered...

I did read PCV info , yet I still have a question.

I want to install a catch can in between VC and IM, and if I read the article right the order goes VC -> PCV -> Catch can -> check valve -> IM

I understand the reason for installing the check valve in between the CC and the IM.

What I don't understand is why keep the PCV in between the VC and the CC. Isn't the PCV and check valve doing the same thing, as the PCV is a fancy check valve? If so, why have both? It seems like this is impeding the flow unnecessarily.

I already have a CC in between the VC vent and the preturbo.

Thanks for helping me understand.

CutlassJim

You are correct. Except I would say the PCV is a very unfancy check valve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I have just a barb going to my valve cover.

I also had a weird situation where I have very low vacuum and the PCV would rattle and sound like a ball bearing in a paint can. Bye bye

mk2davis

CutlassJim, do you have to pass smog in NH? I'm wondering if I'll have trouble with the smog check in CA if the check valve isn't technically a PCV. I'll probably save the stock piece for the biannual event.

I saw on JNZ tuning that the pcv fitting is supposed to be British threads? Did you weld onto the VC, use the fitting from JNZ, or do something else?

tektic

I drill and tap to 1/4" npt. I used over size barbs and a matching in line check valve.

CutlassJim

We do not have a "smog" like some states have. And the car is considered an antique in NH so they are even more lenient. And the owner of the garage is a friend and also owns a GVR4.

I used another one of the fittings that's on the IM side of the PCV. Same thread and same hose size.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts