The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant vr-4 sitting for a while

I have owned this Galant VR-4 for a least ten years.. Has been sitting at least six years and need help getting it going or getting rid of it.. No start / No power steering / No rear steer / No Brakes

gvr4ever

Where to start...

All fluids are crap. Might as well drain the gas tank. Timing belt should probably be done, unless maybe it was done right before parking it.

Before another start attempt, I'd make sure it has fresh gas and oil. I'd pour a little oil down the spark plug wells, wait 30min, take out the MPI fuse and crank over. The piston rings are probably dry and you might not have enough compression. Might need new wires and plugs. Things just wear out and dry rot years of sitting.

You got a lot of work. The good news is, the engine is very stout and likely still usable.

If you get it up and running, the brakes are probably frozen, tires trashed, break fluid gross, coolant bad.

Thx for the info... I know these cars can be money pits unfortunately... But it was my dream car... I had a Mitsubishi mechanic but he lost his shop after some things ... Do you know of any mechanics in NYC?

gvr4ever

They aren't really money pits, they just don't allow neglect. Compared to a German car, they aren't really that bad, but they do require attention.

gvr4ever

Another part that might require attention is the crank pulley. It's not overly expensive, but look for dry rotting.

kdott96

Quoting gforce1661:
I have owned this Galant VR-4 for a least ten years.. Has been sitting at least six years and need help getting it going or getting rid of it.. No start / No power steering / No rear steer / No Brakes

What borough are you in?

gvrfour1531

I just recently started a full over haul on mine after it sitting in a garage for 10 years.
Dream car for me as well so I'm stoked for it to be brought back to life.

God luck with the build.

I'm wondering what is an amount that I shouldn't go over for repairs.or should I just by another car?

gvr4ever

Quoting gforce1661:
I'm wondering what is an amount that I shouldn't go over for repairs.or should I just by another car?

The ammount probably comes down to personal finances and how long you plan on keeping it. Any used AWD turbo car is going to require maintenance and upkeep the entire time to keep it running and performing very well.

I'd try and getting it running, up to temp and do a compression test. See if you have a healthy engine and than decide what needs to be done.

If it won't start, the fuel could be bad or the injectors could be clogged.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts