The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3 bolt lsd

mk2davis

I got a line on a 3 bolt lsd out of a 1st Gen dsm. I've done some reading, and it seems that I can switch internals and keep my 4ws. Is there something I am overlooking?

This is for a long term build project with the end goal being a 400hp build. I know a 4 bolt has stronger axles, but I don't launch hard or drag race.

I read the 4 bolt conversion how to, I imagine the 3 bolt conversion in similar without having to adapt the axles.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes, that is the basic premise. Use the LSD center section with your original ring and pinion in the original case with the hole for the 4WS pump. You have to transfer the drive ring to the new diff.

I am basically doing this same this soon. I have mine apart if you need to see anything.

raptorWagon

however the 4 bolt is stronger and you can swap it into your stock housing as well to retain 4WS.

slugsgomoo

If you launch the car, you'll break it sooner or later. I was launching the car on an Evo3 (at like 12psi on the 2 step) on the street (not even on a track with nice sticky VHT) and it was hell to get my axles out of the diff because the splines were already significantly tweaked.

Personally, since you can do 4 bolt & keep 4ws (if you want that garbage), I'd go that way, as it's a better way overall.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts