The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ABS issues... after installing new coilovers

E39Alfa

Hey guys,

I have a JDM RHD 88’ GVR4...

Having issues with ABS being activated after installing new BC Racing coilovers.

Never had any issues before the install. No just driving around the neighborhood at no more than 25mph and using normal braking I can feel the ABS engaging on normal braking conditions.

I swapped out the front ABS sensor today hoping that would fix this issue but no resolve. I am also hear a weird sound from inside the cab like a pump being activated or something of that sort.

What should my next step be? ABS control module?

Where is the ABS control module located?

Any input about this issue will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Is that all you changed? Everything else remained the same? No change to the sensor rings?

I would check the wiring and make sure the sensors are clean and adjusted properly. they need to be inserted to the proper depth and adjusted close enough to the sensor rings. Debris or misadjustment can affect them. Maybe you knocked or moves something during installation.

transparentdsm

Personally I'd remove the abs. I never like them in these or the DSMs. It just always left something to desire I. The pedal. Lack of feeling the brakes maybe, but I do know an abs delete makes that pedal real nice. I also usually do a 3g eclipse master cylinder and brake booster upgrade at the same time.

gvr4ever

^^ I also usually do a 3g eclipse master cylinder and brake booster upgrade at the same time.

Is that a direct fit? I have brand new brakes on my car, and they still feel soft compared to a modern car. As in the amount of force I have to use. They will stop, but it just requires more foot work.

Dan D

(sorry - short threadjack)
Not quite drop in. You'll have to modify the line routing and preferably, re-flare the ends with the correct bubble flare. There's been people that just cram the inverted flares in there and hope for the best. I'm good with hack jobs on some things but brakes aren't one of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Easier way to do it is combine it with an ABS delete kit like JNZ has. Comes with correct flare adapters and braided lines cut to length.

Last edited:

E39Alfa

I didn’t change anything else during the coilover install.

I bought a used set of ABS sensor that came with the rings already installed and did the swap but not too sure about the correct depth they need to be at. I basically just bolted them back in place on the hub without any real depth specific measurement.

What are the install specs for these ABS sensors?

E39Alfa

I’ve unplugged the ABS unit from the truck for the time being...

I might do that delete soon if I can’t figure this thing out.

transparentdsm

so what dan was saying, the flairs that go into the master are bubble, the inverted flairs need to be swapped with the flairs that come stock on the 3g. not hard to do, but i will say this, the first time i did this swap i did it as a drop in affair, not realizing i needed to change the flairs until someone pointed it out to me and the pedal worked, but not as well as i thought it should. after i made the correction to the flairs, braking was much tighter and kept the pedal high and firm. im not sure if it was the flairs or the re-bleeding of the brakes that made this happen, but once i did it things got better.

slugsgomoo

you're definitely better off deleting it. With some fairly unscientific testing, i was getting ~15-20' longer stopping distances WITH ABS than without. It's ancient mid 80's two channel diagonal ABS, and unlike the new stuff that's basically magic, it really kind of sucks.Deleting it makes the car better, cleans up the engine bay, and sheds a bunch of weight. win/win/win.

fuel

it's actually a different system to the ABS fitted to the USDM and facelift JDM models - but I have no idea if it is better or worse. I feel it is worse. Having said that - the ABS in my '91 JDM functions well and I feel it improves braking distances had it not had ABS.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting E39Alfa:</font><hr />
I didn’t change anything else during the coilover install.

I bought a used set of ABS sensor that came with the rings already installed and did the swap but not too sure about the correct depth they need to be at. I basically just bolted them back in place on the hub without any real depth specific measurement.

What are the install specs for these ABS sensors?

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

The "depth" of the sensor is important, but maybe didn't change if by rings you mean the mounting loops they fit in (they always rust in so I understand getting them with those brackets already attached). More important is the distance the sensor tip is from the hub ring. Those mounts are adjustable as you will see they can rotate around one of the mounting bolts until the other adjusting bolt is tightened. I can't recall the gap spec off the top of my head. It's in the service manual. That gap being too great will throw off the count all the time.

E39Alfa

Update...

I seemed to have solve this issue by:

1. Realigning the sensor (to no specific spec) I just eye balled it to where it’s close enough to where it won’t touch the hub

2. Disconnect and reconnect the ABS ECU in the trunk.

3. Disconnect and reconnect middle plug (of the three) under the hood next to PS pump.

I’ve been driving the car around for more than a week now and these steps seemed to have fix my issue with no more premature ABS being activated for normal braking and driving conditions.

E39Alfa

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this issue, especially iceman!

E39Alfa

Shout out to pot for for supplying me those ABS sensors, I probably didn’t need them, but I’ll have extras for the future. Haha.

E39Alfa

Thanks Pot and Iceman, between you guys recommendation to readjust the ABS sensors and to reset the ABS ECU, It seemed to have fixed my issue. So all the praise to you guys!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts