The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stupid transmission

Terrance362

Will this transmission work on gallants? (W5M332NPXV)
I have been trying to bleed this clutch every day. I have replaced the clutch master and I have an extended slave cylinder rod on it. I can not seem to get the clutch to release. The clutch is a twin disc competition clutch (New)
I have tried all different types of ways to bleed this.

gvr4ever

A SS clutch line can help with line flex, but probably not enough to correct your issue.

The original clutch fork had a weak point and flexed with a heavy clutch. I broke my stock one in half. The revised part seems to be a upgrade.

It's not the transmission. It's everything else required to release the pressure plate.

The clutch pedal itself can wear out too.

gvr4ever

Is the flywheel step in spec with the clutch you used?

Sounds like your doing everything right. I've always felt the clutch system was a weak point in our cars. I'm not sure what people are doing to make it all work.

gvr4ever

click

I hope this helps.

Also, make sure you didn't miss the pesky rear transmission bolt.

Terrance362

I definitely don't have the bolt in on the back side of the motor. I played with it yesterday but I didn't find one that fit. Whats the size M8 or M10? is that the bold that is cone shaped on the tip?

thomcasey

M8 x 1.25 x 60mm. Should have a flat and lock-washer on it also. Normally 12mm head size. Should only be threaded on 2/3 of the bolt.

Terrance362

Thank you, I just jacked the car up and pulled the t-case and down pipe. I will go pick up one before I go to work. Thank you again for the help

Terrance362

Quoting gvr4ever:
Is the flywheel step in spec with the clutch you used?

Sounds like your doing everything right. I've always felt the clutch system was a weak point in our cars. I'm not sure what people are doing to make it all work.

The twin disc came as new setup from extreme psi. It came with a new fork and release bearing

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
How much movement at the clutch fork? If I remember correctly, you need 11mm of stroke of the cylinder end of the fork.

slugsgomoo

if you have a new, or at least non worn fork & pivot ball, I would NOT recommend shimming, nor would I recommend the extended slave. Most of the twins need less throw (some require a stop so you don't over-extend them)... so there's that.

For my car, I'm running the PTT, but overall it's fairly similar. I have a 2g FWD slave (bigger bore) along with the 2g accumulator, and it really makes driving a lot nicer.

That said, missing the magic rear bolt will definitely make your clutch act like garbage, if it works at all. Not to mention, running it that way for any amount of time will almost inevitably crack the bellhousing... ask me how I know. Red loctite FTW.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts